Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are your homepods still running hot with 14.7?

• Still Running hot: they are currently turned off until updated

• Hot: but running them anyway, no other issues

• Warm: and running them without issues

• Normal temperature: not having issues

• Bricked: and I blame the heat!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Currently I don’t trust using my stereo pair, so they are not being used at all until an update resolves the issue.
They were always room temp, but now heat up within 30 minutes of use until I don’t feel comfortable leaving them connected, especially in light of other posters experiences with hardware failures.
(Latest software, have reset and rebooted multiple times, have contacted Apple etc etc. These were relatively expensive, less than 3 years old and these issues need to be addressed).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
After the latest update, mine seemed to be slightly warmer than room temperature for a while. Fast forward to yesterday, they feel substantially warmer than room temperature, when I hover my hand above the display. Not using a thermometer; just going by feel. Don’t know when they started heating up but I hope I’m not playing with fire (pun intended) by leaving them connected. They work fine otherwise and the always on + - seems to have been fixed. I wouldn’t be so worried if I knew I can walk into an Apple Store and be able to replace them.

Reactions: Topfry

Topfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Just to clarify: talking about OG homepods here (not minis). would be great to have a larger statistical field than 3 people voting….

Reactions: Blowback

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Just to clarify: talking about OG homepods here (not minis). would be great to have a larger statistical field than 3 people voting….
I didn't vote because my situation (noted above) doesn't warrant it....but I agree that more data would be appreciated. Maybe you have to include a link to this at the end of the threads concerning the problem?

Ikertxo40

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2018
My homepods are in 14.7, if siri on it get easily 6 degrees celsius hotter, a lot. I miss siri and intercom but both off until 14.8 or 15.0

Topfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
I honestly think this situation is not good enough; well below the standard expected of apple. If id bought these from a high street market imported from dome dubious knockoff merchant - fair enough; but they are not even functioning as sold; particularly if siri and intercom have to be turned off to stop them grossly overheating. It sounds like Im getting really mad about it, but its more like exasperation, especially at how long its taking to address. (Its been months and clearly software related as they worked properly before 14.6)

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Suffered this on 14.6. Is better on 14.7, but still hotter than it used to be. For me though, the more annoying thing have been the loss of volume and overall sound quality since 14.6 was released. 14.7 didnt fixed it. Asked here and in reddit, it happened to a lot of people. Hope it will be fixed with Homepod OS 15 when lossless and Atmos will be introduced for Apple Music on the Homepods.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Suffered this on 14.6. Is better on 14.7, but still hotter than it used to be. For me though, the more annoying thing have been the loss of volume and overall sound quality since 14.6 was released. 14.7 didnt fixed it. Asked here and in reddit, it happened to a lot of people. Hope it will be fixed with Homepod OS 15 when lossless and Atmos will be introduced for Apple Music on the Homepods.
Mine will stay unplugged until Apple resolves its latest self-inflected mess. This is twice they have gotten me; the first being the GPU of my 2011 MBPro. Their 'quite' on this issue is very un-business and customer like.

Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Mine will stay unplugged until Apple resolves its latest self-inflected mess. This is twice they have gotten me; the first being the GPU of my 2011 MBPro. Their 'quite' on this issue is very un-business and customer like.

At least your issue is "only" the heat, and not any deterioration in sound quality. Oh well...

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
At least your issue is "only" the heat, and not any deterioration in sound quality. Oh well...
Actually, not sure. I haven't upgraded them yet (which I believe is automatic sometimes?) so don't really know what the final result will be......

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Actually, not sure. I haven't upgraded them yet (which I believe is automatic sometimes?) so don't really know what the final result will be......

Ah. Are you in 14.5?. Good for you! Stay there!

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
If you mean phone...no 14.7...But, will have to update the Homepods eventually. Just waiting to see how this all pans out.

No, meant Homepods. I you still have them on 14.5, stay there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowback

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
My HomePods (moth regular and minis) are on 14.7 with out any issues. I have a stereo pair of OG HonePods and a single one in another room. Sure the top surface gets slightly warm, but nothing concerning like with 14.6.

Reactions: B/D and Blowback

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
My HomePods (moth regular and minis) are on 14.7 with out any issues. I have a stereo pair of OG HonePods and a single one in another room. Sure the top surface gets slightly warm, but nothing concerning like with 14.6.
Thanks! Good to hear. I'll restart mine after the next update and keep an eye on them. Hope I wind up in the same situation as you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.