Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaines

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I have a problem that seems to be unique. When I create a hotspot with my iPad, any device I connect to it does not have internet access. When I use the windows 7 networking troubleshooter it comes back that it cannot connect to the DNS server. The iPad does have internet access and is the wifi+Cellular version. I am able to acces the internet fully when the hotspot is active but yet the devices connected to the hotspot do not have internet. I have done the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Restore iPad to factory iOS 12
2. Restore iPad to factory downgraded to iOS 11.4.1
3. Performed DFU factory reset.
4. Swapped out SIM cards with another device where the hotspot function works.
5. Performed all the basic hotspot troubleshooting steps found on the internet and on Apple’s website.

I have called Apple and it has been escalated. They told me I’m going to get a response in a few days.

Anyone else run to this? I can’t find any information anywhere of this happening to anyone else.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hotspot availability (whether or not hotspot is available or not) is firstly determined by yr carrier.
however, in cases where i have a SIM of a carrier in my iOS device that doesn't allow hotspot, then usually the option for hotspot doesn't even show (thats one reason why the Preference for hotspot is located within Setting's Cellular preference).

but in yr case you are confirming that you actually see and can set hotspot preference settings, correct? i would check
with yr carrier to make sure that hotspot is allowed with yr plan, first.

then, it would be easiest to try to connect to that hotspot with an apple device to see if its an iOS problem or a windows problem.

at the same time, on yr windows device, does it actually see and report the correct name of the hotspot network?
the hotspot network name is set by you, and you need to have a set a password as well.

does the windows device see this network name but just cant connect to it?
if this is the case, then i would think that its some problem on the windows device side since yr windows device is seeing the network name and yr iOS device is reporting it correctly.
therefore it wouldn't be yr iOS hotspot that is preventing the windows device from connecting.

remember that bluetooth needs to be turned on, on both yr hotspot iOS device and the device that wants to connect to the hotspot. i am not sure the version number of bluetooth that is required for compatibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.