Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I was just checking, intel power gadget and macs fan control and I'm not so sure about the temperatures.

Normally when running my CPU is around 66degrees, as soon as I run the yes command (100% CPU) the temperature shoots up to 99 degrees, within the matter of a second - that's not the issue.

I close the yes command and the temperature drop to 80 in a second and to around 70 a few seconds later. Even if the fans were maxed, which at the time they weren't, it would take around 10 seconds for that heat to dissipate.

It just feels a little fishy. I.e. I don't believe the temps can drop that fast when the fan isn't at max capacity. Logic would dictate that it would take some time for that level of drop.

I dont have istat pro anymore, but the temps are in line with macs fan control, so I can't imagine intels power gadget is cooking the books.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 01.37.33.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 01.37.33.png
    282.6 KB · Views: 395

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
The temp drop isn't caused by the fan dissipating the heat, it's because the heat got out from the CPU.
At max load there is too much heat they get stuck very close to the CPU.

You would not have this behavior with a desktop computer with a water block directly on a delid CPU.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
The temp drop isn't caused by the fan dissipating the heat, it's because the heat got out from the CPU.
At max load there is too much heat they get stuck very close to the CPU.

You would not have this behavior with a desktop computer with a water block directly on a delid CPU.

Ah, so by virtue of that, my heatsinks should still be around that temp, but my CPU should have dropped as per the screenshot?

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Ah, so by virtue of that, my heatsinks should still be around that temp, but my CPU should have dropped as per the screenshot?
Yes, when at full load there is a large temperature difference between the silicone and the heatsink. When heating stops, the temperatures quickly equalize across the thermal system. But it will be a while before the entire system gets cooled down by those tiny fans.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I close the yes command and the temperature drop to 80 in a second and to around 70 a few seconds later. Even if the fans were maxed, which at the time they weren't, it would take around 10 seconds for that heat to dissipate.
Yep, that makes perfect sense, you're no longer doing a task that is pushing the CPU to 100% and jumping into turbo mode, so its not generating the heat. The MBP's thermal management is then able to bring the down fairly quickly

Premal212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Yep, that makes perfect sense, you're no longer doing a task that is pushing the CPU to 100% and jumping into turbo mode, so its not generating the heat. The MBP's thermal management is then able to bring the down fairly quickly

Makes sense. I didn’t think the sensor was within the CPU. I thought it was just closer towards the hinksink

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Reactions: Premal212
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.