Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Howzit,

I've got a bunch of photos that I want to upload onto deviantART, but I have some resolution problems (<-- note the oxymoron)...

I see many people release nice photographs at a relatively low/medium resolution for download, something like 600px vertical.

However there's also some photographs that are available for download at the full resolution...

I'm not sure whether it's the uploader that doesn't want people to copy and use their photos so they put them low res, or quicker for upload.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
However there's also some photographs that are available for download at the full resolution...

I'm not sure whether it's the uploader that doesn't want people to copy and use their photos so they put them low res, or quicker for upload.

I have no idea what deviantART is... but if you don't really care what happens to your photo then I guess posting full size shouldn't be a worry. If you wan't to control what people can do with your images then a lower resolution image is a better idea.

Remember, once the image is online you lose control of it so be sure of what you want to do.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Howzit,

I've got a bunch of photos that I want to upload onto deviantART, but I have some resolution problems (<-- note the oxymoron)...

I see many people release nice photographs at a relatively low/medium resolution for download, something like 600px vertical.

I think it's mostly for control over the images. I've got a friend who shoots and releases stock on Deviant- he pays the models, does the shoots, then puts high-res images up for anyone to use any way they like. He's got quite a following, and it's an interesting hobby. The times I've shot for him, I've gotten images on several CDs, and a bunch of other places that wouldn't have generated sales, and it was very cool to see how some of the artists transformed some of the images- but my philosophy is still to not put out anything over 600 pixels on the long side for something I might sell.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree that nothing over 600 px should be put up there. I think I even go a bit further but keep it at 72 dpi. I always tell people they can print them all they want but they're going to look trashy. It's the same thing I do when I give a "proof" CD. I do that because giving the proof CD with printable images won't generate future sales.

People who upload full res on DA are either giving away stock or simply don't know.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Most of the images I put on DA have been 1200px in either direction, at 72dpi. Some people have said that's too risky, but I don't really worry. I think too many people are so full of themselves or want to feel important, so they worry a lot about their images, which no one would ever steal or have reason to steal, anyway.

600px doesn't let the all detail show in my photos that I want to show. I've lately brought my images down to 1000px, but that was only so people could see the whole image without scrolling.

It's up to you how large you put your images online, but don't shrink them just to be smug. It's the same as when you see people who plaster their name across some snapshot of their dog. "©REALLCOOLPHOTOG27.COM"

Come on, people. No one is going to steal an image of your dog, or your doorknob, or a fire hydrant.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
People who upload full res on DA are either giving away stock or simply don't know.

Or they are like me who can't (or don't want to) sell their pics, and would just like to share their pics with the world. More than once I've seen a really interesting macro that shows some structures, but it's too small to be used for class or anything, even after I email the author asking for a larger version. Besides, I make my own wallpapers put of my macro pics, and I'd like to share them. There are plenty of reasons to post high res pics online... I'm just not after the money that could be made by selling them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.