Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I’ve never installed a public beta before … what are the chances my device crashes with a public beta and I have to do a restore using my iMac? I’m comfortable doing restores, but no phone during the day because it “crashed” would be highly inconvenient.

Would you only install public betas on your iPad? Would you recommend doing backups to a Mac every few days?

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
VA
I’ve been on the public beta for a few months and have had no problems. I thought it was a bit of a risk since this is my only phone, but it’s been fine

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
what are the chances my device crashes with a public beta
Close to 0 but never 0. Public betas have been quite stable for a number of years, you will likely encounter small (and annoying) bugs but it's unlikely you would have a full OS crash. You have to be prepared to this scenario regardless

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Close to 0 but never 0. Public betas have been quite stable for a number of years, you will likely encounter small (and annoying) bugs but it's unlikely you would have a full OS crash. You have to be prepared to this scenario regardless
I'm backing up to my Mac now since a Mac backup restores everything as it was before versus a iCloud backup. And I'll probably do a backup to my Mac twice a week. Is that overkill? Anything I should do?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have an Apple Watch with cellular service so I can still do basic communication . . . I should be okay until I get home and do a Restore?
If you have your heart set on running beta software, get a second phone. Introducing software that can break the complete use of your only phone is not a good move and Apple suggests the same, not to mention beta can also cause the loss or critical use apps. I don’t understand why you want to put yourself at risk but, it seems you already have your mind made up.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I ran the iOS 18.0 beta on a second phone but I'm running the 18.1 beta on my main phone. The main thing to be concerned about is annoying bugs, not full system crashes. If you check out the stickied thread you will see that 18.1 has had some users experiencing that.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I have a second phone but it’s a Google Fi Pixel mainly used for traveling. If the bugs get too annoying, is it as simply as restoring my iPhone to an older backup with an older non-beta iOS such as iOS 18.0?

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I have a second phone but it’s a Google Fi Pixel mainly used for traveling. If the bugs get too annoying, is it as simply as restoring my iPhone to an older backup with an older non-beta iOS such as iOS 18.0?
Yes, you can do a restore if you want to get off the beta by plugging your phone into a computer and downgrading to a stable version.

Reactions: Luba

southnorth

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2018
In my experience installing a beta on the Watch is risky as I’ve found that there can be significant battery drain. I did Watch OS 11 beta but I won’t do it again in future.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
When iOS 18.0.1 comes out what’s happens to us on 18.1 beta? We stay on 18.1 beta or Apple puts out 18.1.1 beta??

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
ok, we stay in the beta track. What if I want to get off the beta track when 18.1 comes out, how do I get off and install iOS 18.1?
Betas, public or developer, carry some risk with them. Most of the time, it's just minor annoyances. Occasionally, they can cause your phone to malfunction in some way or even brick it. Fortunately, even in these extreme cases, the phone can be restored via a reinstallation of the software or at the Apple store (in the most extreme cases).

If you install a beta, the most important thing you can do is save an ARCHIVED backup of your phone while it is still on the "old" software (the one you are moving from) on your Mac. The backup needs to be archived (meaning saved with a specific name and in a specific location) because if it is not, your next backup on the new (beta) software will overwrite the backup you made while still on the old software. If that happens, you will not be able to restore your phone to the old software if there is a problem on the beta.

Do this (archive the backup) and you will be just fine.

Google archiving backups. There should be some articles on Macrumors about this and on iMore (if those are still available).

Regarding getting off the beta track: its as simple as toggling the switch in Settings>General>Sofware Updates>Beta Updates to "Off". You'll stay on the beta your on in that case until the next general release comes out and then you will automatically be moved to that when you update.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I’m on 18.1 beta 5 on my 15 PMand it’s running really well with the exception of battery life and recently some keyboard stutter or delay….i have to charge my phone at least once a day and sometimes twice. I probably could get away with once a day but I don’t like being below 40% at the end of the day “just in case”.

CarPlay has been perfect in my 2021 RAV4 hybrid and wife’s 2020 CRV.

If the battery life was decent or even fair I would even know I was on a beta

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Betas, public or developer, carry some risk with them. Most of the time, it's just minor annoyances. Occasionally, they can cause your phone to malfunction in some way or even brick it. Fortunately, even in these extreme cases, the phone can be restored via a reinstallation of the software or at the Apple store (in the most extreme cases).

If you install a beta, the most important thing you can do is save an ARCHIVED backup of your phone while it is still on the "old" software (the one you are moving from) on your Mac. The backup needs to be archived (meaning saved with a specific name and in a specific location) because if it is not, your next backup on the new (beta) software will overwrite the backup you made while still on the old software. If that happens, you will not be able to restore your phone to the old software if there is a problem on the beta.

Do this (archive the backup) and you will be just fine.

Google archiving backups. There should be some articles on Macrumors about this and on iMore (if those are still available).

Regarding getting off the beta track: its as simple as toggling the switch in Settings>General>Sofware Updates>Beta Updates to "Off". You'll stay on the beta your on in that case until the next general release comes out and then you will automatically be moved to that when you update.
I did do a backup for my iPhone and iPad onto my Mac before I installed 18.1 beta, but I didn't archive. Just now, I went into "Manage Backups" right-clicked my backups and chose "Archive" and using Finder, the backups are being stored in user > Library > Application Support > MobileSync > Backup but with a long gibberish name. I duplicated the 2 backups and then renamed the duplicate folders with a name I can recognize. Should I leave the archived backups in user > Library > Application Support > MobileSync > Backup?? Was it necessary for me to "duplicate" the archived backups and rename it to a friendly name?

I'm also on Sequoia 15.1 beta. I did a Time Capsule backup before installing Sequoia 15.1 beta. Is there a way to Archive my backup of Sequoia 15.0 like I just did with iOS 18.0 backups?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.