Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
I have created a iOS shortcuts (Workflow) on a iPadOS. Finally, I would like to save and send a backup to Mac. This has been really easy in the past. Unfortunately it is no longer possible to share any Shortcuts via eMail, ftp client or other non iCloud services. It looks like Apple locked down Shortcuts to iCloud. Users are forced to use iCloud. Anyway, when I click the iCloud 'Get Shortcut' link it won't download the workflow://shortcuts file.

How can I download a iOS shortcut to my Mac?

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Do another shortcut. Use Get my Shortcuts, run it, find the shortcut in that list, and use the share sheet that shows up there to send it to your Mac.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It worked like a charm! This is exactly I was looking for.

Unfortunately it’s no longer possible to import .shortcut files back from macOS to iOS clients which makes it kind of useless. It used to worked with the previous .wflow files. To deploy shortcuts files you have to use iCloud shared link.

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Might have to do with people making them outside of the app in iOS 12.

The .shortcut file has been created on iPadOS only. Sharing workflows used to work great before Apple switched brand names from .wflow to .shortcut files and locked down sharing feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.