Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toby B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
UK
Hi guys, I have an older DIY Mac Pro and I am running Mavericks.
I have recently tried to use a second monitor but the OS doesn't seem to like it.

The main monitor is connected by DVI, and the second one is connected by VGA.

Looking in System Preferences I cannot see an option in 'Displays' to add an additional monitor. In Mission Control I have unchecked the 'Displays have separate spaces' checkbox.

I notice that people on this forum are using multiple monitors who have a Macbook Pro, but is this possible running Mavericks without a laptop?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yes, you can run multiple monitors with the Mac Pro.

As for why it is not working, I'm am not sure. I don't remember an option to "add" an additional monitor, it usually just works for me, and you pick whether you want to mirror it or not, and what side you want the monitor on.

You said this was a DIY Mac Pro, can you explain what this means? Is it a Hackintosh? Also, what video card are you using?

Toby B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
UK
Yes, you can run multiple monitors with the Mac Pro.

As for why it is not working, I'm am not sure. I don't remember an option to "add" an additional monitor, it usually just works for me, and you pick whether you want to mirror it or not, and what side you want the monitor on.

You said this was a DIY Mac Pro, can you explain what this means? Is it a Hackintosh? Also, what video card are you using?
Thanks for replying. Yes, it is a hackintosh. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H and the CPU is an Intel i7-4770K Haswell. I don't have a stand-alone graphics card - Do you think this could be the cause of the problem?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for replying. Yes, it is a hackintosh. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H and the CPU is an Intel i7-4770K Haswell. I don't have a stand-alone graphics card - Do you think this could be the cause of the problem?
I am not familiar with Hackintosh, maybe someone else has some info for you.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Macos does not use VGA hook the monitor to the displayport or HDMI connector and it should just work.

Edit: BTW you should be using a system definition of iMac14,2 I think that is it for what I used for my board which had an i5 in it. It was the same model and I had three monitors connected and working with it, the dvi, dp and hdmi connectors used.

Toby B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
UK
@vertical smile, no worries thanks anyway.

Macos does not use VGA hook the monitor to the displayport or HDMI connector and it should just work.

Edit: BTW you should be using a system definition of iMac14,2 I think that is it for what I used for my board which had an i5 in it. It was the same model and I had three monitors connected and working with it, the dvi, dp and hdmi connectors used.

@MacUser2525, Thanks. It looks like my second monitor doesn't have HDMI, just VGA, DVI and what looks like a display port. I recall my machine having the system definition of a Mac Pro, possibly 2008 version, despite this being a 2014 build.

I will see if I can change my system def to iMac14,2 and report back.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
@vertical smile, no worries thanks anyway.

@MacUser2525, Thanks. It looks like my second monitor doesn't have HDMI, just VGA, DVI and what looks like a display port. I recall my machine having the system definition of a Mac Pro, possibly 2008 version, despite this being a 2014 build.

I will see if I can change my system def to iMac14,2 and report back.

That would be a MacPro3,1 just change it in your config.plist. It is simple to do and does not much matter but will fit your system as it should be. It only had a 4771 as it best processor, but it so close to your model that is what you should use. I had a i5-4670 in mine a perfect match to what was in a 14,2.

Toby B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
UK
That would be a MacPro3,1 just change it in your config.plist. It is simple to do and does not much matter but will fit your system as it should be. It only had a 4771 as it best processor, but it so close to your model that is what you should use. I had a i5-4670 in mine a perfect match to what was in a 14,2.

MacPro3,1 correct. I have just changed this in Multibeast v6.5.1 (1) which is a 2014 version. I selected iMac 14,2 which looked like the highest spec of iMac I could choose.
screenshot_2422.jpg

It worked, my machine is now iMac 14,2

iMac-14,2.jpg

... as you predicted, the VGA still failed with this new set up. So, I guess I will purchase a Displayport cable. Neither of my monitors have HDMI unfortunately.

Many thanks for your help !!

do9m8Fydsgv

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
MacPro3,1 correct. I have just changed this in Multibeast v6.5.1 (1) which is a 2014 version. I selected iMac 14,2 which looked like the highest spec of iMac I could choose.
View attachment 832315

It worked, my machine is now iMac 14,2

View attachment 832314
... as you predicted, the VGA still failed with this new set up. So, I guess I will purchase a Displayport cable. Neither of my monitors have HDMI unfortunately.

Many thanks for your help !!

do9m8Fydsgv

You are welcome, it is better to have a system definition closer to the generation of your cpu, unfortunately Apple dropped support for VGA so it is a no go.

Toby B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
UK
Update:
I now have two monitors working fine. I connected the second one using Displayport.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.