Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Sometimes when I'm taking pictures the images come out really bad and blurry, how can I prevent this? I assume this is because the camera is shaking while the picture is being taken? My phototaking abilities are really hit and miss, I can only seem to get 50% of them to come out decent.

Here is an example.

The camera I'm using is an HP Photosmart M415

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It probably isn't entirely your fault. Each camera has its own strengths and weaknesses, and it's quite common for a camera's weakness to be inside low-light pictures (like your example pic).

There are two things that can cause a blurry picture: shake and focus (both apply especially to low-light conditions) . You can use a tripod to eliminate shake, but unfortunately, there's not much you can do about poor focusing for point-and-shoot cameras (although, sometimes, forcing the camera to focus multiple times can help).

Of course, increasing the light in the area will usually help.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The camera seems to be capable of taking good pictures inside because it did fine in the picture here. But maybe I should try setting the camera on a desk and taking a picture to see if shaking is the problem, as I don't have a tripod.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Sometimes when I'm taking pictures the images come out really bad and blurry, how can I prevent this? I assume this is because the camera is shaking while the picture is being taken? My phototaking abilities are really hit and miss, I can only seem to get 50% of them to come out decent.

Here is an example.

The camera I'm using is an HP Photosmart M415

Your examples show a shutter speed of 1/25th of a second. You're not likely to be able to hold still enough for almost half a second every time. I'd suggest either getting better support or using flash.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
Your examples show a shutter speed of 1/25th of a second. You're not likely to be able to hold still enough for almost half a second every time. I'd suggest either getting better support or using flash.

Yeah, i thik that you are not holding still enough as the shutterspeed is 1;25th of a second. Using flash, as he mentioned should fix the problem, or using a tripod. Good luck :)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

If I use flash, then the displays that I take pictures of dims so that you cannot see anything on it, which is why the flash was turned off. What would be a better way to take a picture of a display?

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Yup, I *think* the problem is that you have low lighting. In that, for the camera to take a picture, it needs enough light to illuminate the object. Although, to gather that light in low lighting, it takes longer so the shutter needs to stay open longer. When it stays open longer, any shaking or movement will cause the picture to blur. Hence, either

1. Use a tripod so you don't get movement
or
2. Use flash in low light

P.S. If your problem is that the display dims when you use flash, use more external lighting besides the monitor (i.e. room lights, spot light, etc.)

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Try this, since ur not going for less noise tr to find the iso (and turn it up) then turn the shutter speed up a couple of steps. This will brighten up the shot. But with a small sacrifice of image color (depending on the camera)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.