Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I have been unable to get a good scan while using the scanner from my HP all-in-one. Is my scanner the problem or is it something with my technique?

Below is an example of my problem.

The black areas especially bother me because they are full of colored artifacts. It also seems that there are funny lines running through the whole picture. Is there any way to correct this with the equipment I have or do I need to get a new scanner?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• sc0015f20b.jpg
    sc0015f20b.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 110

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
something like 'noise ninja' might get rid of the lines. can't test it, as i don't have it.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Are you using HP's scan software or are you scanning through an image program like photoshop? Because HP's software, although functionally atrocious, is likely to produce better results.

Regarding the lines and other noise in the picture, you'll likely reduce those artifacts a lot by scanning at the highest optical DPI the scanner can do and then lowering the resolution through photoshop or any other good piece of image software.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I don't know anything about your scanner, but it seems to be lacking in the ability to handle the shadows effectively. I assume you're scanning a negative and not a print. It looks like a difficult photo to scan anyway, but a dedicated film scanner like the Nikon V or especially the 5000ED would give you the ability to adjust the dynamic range considerably and even do multiple scans to help extract detail from the shadows while reducing noise and artifacts. Also, the dedicated film scanners can do 14 bit scans and produce RAW files - although they can get pretty big.

It may be the best you can get with your all-in-one scanner...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.