Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCrack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2021
I have an older Macbook which can run El Capitan, but the drive is wiped, I have no installation discs, and this model cannot download or recover over the Internet like newer models.

I have downloaded the El Capitan installer DMG from support.apple.com but cannot get further than this. How can I turn this DMG into a bootable installer in Windows or Linux?

(I'm asking here on MacRumors because I figure Mac users are more likely to want and know how to reinstall macOS)

AppleCrack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2021
Thanks, but you may want to remove your post here: the first suggestion is not relevant, and the last two suggestions look like hash and copy-paste of other articles, and can apparently result in bricking your Macbook by replacing the firmware with a non-compatible one.

Still interested in hearing if anyone has succeded in getting that installer onto bootable media.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Thanks, but you may want to remove your post here: the first suggestion is not relevant, and the last two suggestions look like hash and copy-paste of other articles, and can apparently result in bricking your Macbook by replacing the firmware with a non-compatible one.

Still interested in hearing if anyone has succeded in getting that installer onto bootable media.

Done. Happy Holidays

Reactions: MBAir2010

AppleCrack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2021
That entire Medium.com page seems like more of the same, a hash of other articles with vague prose and referrals to other articles in the same style. Lots of text, but no clarity. And the article doesn't address that the bootable image sits somewhere inside a PKG, which in turn sits inside the DMG.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I would do anything to install Mojave on my dell XPS 9380, but i know I wont get the entire feel.
there are mackintosh threads here than can help and someone posted a comment here that might help.

good luck tho, and let us know what happens!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.