Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milohywel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
Hey folks,

I'm gonna try to cover this as quick as possible as it could be a question which is asked often.

I've just purchased the most recent Macbook Pro, which is running the latest OS and is running it smooooth. At home I also have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010 tower), which cannot update past High Sierra, and is generally just very slow. It also lacks an "AVX compatible CPU", which is apparently something which I'll need (I am a music producer).

I'm basically asking, is there a cheapish way for me to fix up my Mac Pro, to make it as efficient and up to date as my Macbook, so that i can use the two in tandem? I've attached my specs to the thread - let me know if anything else is needed.

Any help is deeply appreciated, there's no way i can afford the new Mac Pro models...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 14.07.19.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 14.07.19.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 348

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey folks,

I'm gonna try to cover this as quick as possible as it could be a question which is asked often.

I've just purchased the most recent Macbook Pro, which is running the latest OS and is running it smooooth. At home I also have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010 tower), which cannot update past High Sierra, and is generally just very slow. It also lacks an "AVX compatible CPU", which is apparently something which I'll need (I am a music producer).

I'm basically asking, is there a cheapish way for me to fix up my Mac Pro, to make it as efficient and up to date as my Macbook, so that i can use the two in tandem? I've attached my specs to the thread - let me know if anything else is needed.

Any help is deeply appreciated, there's no way i can afford the new Mac Pro models...

Thanks!
You can update the CPU to a lot faster hex-core (like X5680 or X5690), add more memory, GPU to a current one that have Mojave support, but you can't update to a processor that have AVX support.

First Mac Pro that have AVX support is late-2013 Mac Pro.

Reactions: Eschers

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I don't believe that you are able to get around the requirement of a "AVX compatible CPU" so performance updates will not help.

That being said, you could easily add more RAM and replace your hard drive with an SSD to improve your performance.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
In order of impact vs price/hassle
1. SSD boot drive. Mine's SATA and it's fine. It'll blow a spinning disk out of the water and make the single biggest performance improvement of all of these.
2. RAM. 7GB is low. I would recommend at least 24GB at 1333MHz ECC. Triple channel for max memory bandwidth. (8GBx3 or 16GBx3 recommended).
3. GPU: grab a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB for under $200 and it'll dramatically improve your performance.
4. CPU upgrade to a fast hex like 3.46 or 3.06 was the fastest Apple shipped for the mid-2012 (it's 95W TDP whereas 3.33 and 3.46 are higher around 130W). Just make sure your heat sink is big enough. Idk if they use the same heat sink for the base 2.8 vs the 2.93 and 3.06s.

These upgrades will transform your performance!

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Native instrument me thinks...
They have the 5,1 music community in an uproar right now.

Many studios still run the 5,1.
Glad I don’t use NI.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Native instrument me thinks...
They have the 5,1 music community in an uproar right now.

Many studios still run the 5,1.
Glad I don’t use NI.
It's a really dumb take to require AVX and don't offer any version that still works with MP5,1s. People with MP5,1 will first look at alternatives for the app/plug-in than to upgrade to a newer Mac Pro.

I'm moving to anything that don't enforces AVX or, when possible, using AVX software with my other Macs that support it. For sure, I'm not upgrading any of my personal Macs until the ARM transition path is very clear.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
there is plenty of room to improve your mac pro, and the difference from 2.8 to the six core is huge, but cheapish, not sure.
you gonna have to invest something around $500- $600 to get to Mojave, CPU, RAM, SSD. still no AVX, and the Cheesegrater is showing its age, at least in Audio.

do you have the 16" ? because then i would just use the Macbook as desktop and buy a nice Monitor, TB-dock, keyboard, mouse, backup drives, etc. you can connect everything with just 1 cable + charging, pretty sleek.

the mac mini could be an option too, its excellent for Audio, for the price, for a mac.
with peripherals certainly a bigger investment.

WWDC is just around the corner, maybe the new iMac is an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.