Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonK32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I recently got the ATV 4k as part of the DirecTV deal and liked it so much I bought a 2nd one for my bedroom. It seems like occasionally when I watch TV in the bedroom, which is right above my living room, the remote is turning on the LR ATV and TV, as on a few occasions the TV will be on after I went to bed being sure that I turned it off (I've made a point of ensuring it the last few nights so I could test it). On the other hand I have also taken my BR remote down to the LR to try and control that ATV and it didn't work (although it did still affect my BR ATV from the LR).

Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I'd try resetting the incriminated Siri remote and then pair it again to its own ATV4K:

How to reset your Siri Remote
If your remote is out of battery, misbehaving, or you want to move it to a new Apple TV, you can reset it by doing the following:

1. Simultaneously press the Menu and Volume Up buttons.
  2. Hold for 2-3 seconds.
  3. Your remote should reset and return to pairing mode.
---

I'd first unplug the other ATV4K before doing it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I read somewhere ATV remotes are individually dialed-in so I dunno, but affecting other devices in a separate room, that's one strong remote. Ultimately if nothing else works, make some kind of a short straw and tape it in front of the affected device so only signal that are directly in front of it will trigger.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have three 4K ATVs in separate rooms and each remote is paired to work only with one ATV to prevent the others from turning on.

It may be that your ATV is turning on on it's own. I had to se each ATV a certain way so that each one would actually sleep and not wake up 10 seconds after I put it to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.