Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If you close all apps, and double tap the home button (iPad Air2' iOS 10.2.1), there is this Twitter quick launch/greeting bar at the bottom of the screen. I've turned off all notifications and I can't make this annoying thing go away.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

IMG_1097.PNG

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Actually, Siri is turned off. Is there a different place to turn app suggestions off? I removed the widget but the bar is still at the bottom.

Okay, so I guess it takes time after removing the widget. It finally went away, thanks Carlos.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually, Siri is turned off. Is there a different place to turn app suggestions off? I removed the widget but the bar is still at the bottom.

Okay, so I guess it takes time after removing the widget. It finally went away, thanks Carlos.
Try Settings > General > Spotlight Search and check the suggestions settings there. Could be related to handoff too. Also under location settings for system services could be something there as well for suggestions.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
These are app suggestions. It shows up if you commonly use an app in a specific location. It probably went away because you left wherever you open the twitter app often.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I had already tried tHe other settings. The one thing I didn't do was remove the Siri suggestions from the widgets page. I did that and after a few minutes it went away.

It wasn't handoff.

I wanted it gone simply because it annoyed me. I guess I'm just a cranky old man ;)

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I agree that this widget (or whatever it is) personally feels like one too many places from which to launch Twitter (it's always Twitter for me, as well). I found the old Contacts shortcuts in the app switcher more useful. But I'm sure it floats someone's boat...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well, I was premature in marking the thread resolved. Without having any interaction with Twitter in any way, the bar appeared again this morning.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, I was premature in marking the thread resolved. Without having any interaction with Twitter in any way, the bar appeared again this morning.
Have you checked the other areas mentioned earlier, like system services in location services under privacy?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, nothing there seems to have any effect no matter settings. I'm just going to remove the app if possible.
I think the following covers most things already mentioned here, but perhaps there's something else there that hasn't been tried (or might be worth trying again):

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/252996/remove-suggested-apps-option-in-ios-10

Also some previous threads related to this kind of thing might be worth looking into (in case they haven't been seen yet), although for the most part I think they pretty much cover the same kinds of things:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/annoyed-at-siri-app-suggestions.2003382/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-do-i-disable-suggested-apps-based-on-location.1994181/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/are-suggested-apps-gone-in-ios-10.2001992/

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
Yeah, nothing there seems to have any effect no matter settings. I'm just going to remove the app if possible.
You are a very picky person haha. There's nothing wrong with the bottom bar imo. If you don't like it, why can't you ignore it? It's not like it gets in the way. No point removing a whole app just because you got annoyed by a certain design element that doesn't even get in the way.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't see such suggestion bar starting from iOS 10 era for quite a while, yet I still keep those settings on for as long as I use iOS 10.

I have no idea why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.