Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
As you may know, Fantastical pushed version 3 without prompting users, and moved several features behind a paywall. They also added other annoyances such as requiring a login account and nagging paid users to subscribe to the features that they paid for.

I'm attempting to restore the Fantastical version 2 on my iPhone ( already did it on my iMac ) using iMazing. However, iMazing is downloading the app from the iTunes store instead of restoring the .ipa file from my backup.

In other words, it appears to be getting backed up settings /data from the backup, but for some reason it's not getting the app file from backup. it is getting it from the store, so it installs version 3 while I have version 2 backed up. I tried disconnecting my iMac from the Interwebs and doing the app restore procedure. That didn't work.

Is there a way to restore app file itself using iMazing? if not, is there another way to get it back onto my phone?

Phone/Mac info

iOS 13.3.1
iPhone 7 Plus
macOS 10.15.3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 4.56.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 4.56.04 PM.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 1,164
Reactions: uehithneu

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
As you may know, Fantastical pushed version 3 without prompting users, and moved several features behind a paywall. They also added other annoyances such as requiring a login account and nagging paid users to subscribe to the features that they paid for.

I'm attempting to restore the Fantastical version 2 on my iPhone ( already did it on my iMac ) using iMazing. However, iMazing is downloading the app from the iTunes store instead of restoring the .ipa file from my backup.

In other words, it appears to be getting backed up settings /data from the backup, but for some reason it's not getting the app file from backup. it is getting it from the store, so it installs version 3 while I have version 2 backed up. I tried disconnecting my iMac from the Interwebs and doing the app restore procedure. That didn't work.

Is there a way to restore app file itself using iMazing? if not, is there another way to get it back onto my phone?

Phone/Mac info

iOS 13.3.1
iPhone 7 Plus
macOS 10.15.3

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Newer versions of imazing has issues restoring apps/data so i had to downgrade to 2.9.13 - not sure if it's been fixed but it kept on saying i couldnt restore a newer versions of backup onto an old version (it's the same version)

Its archive function of apps also breaks every so often (it thinks the app is no longer tied to my apple id anymore) so i dont rely on that and just use another method to download older IPA files from itunes 12.6.3. I keep the IPAs on my external and when i need to go back, i drag it into imazing's "manage apps" window, right click and then choose "install to device"

Where did you get that IPA? from iTunes 12.6.3? or imazing?

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Newer versions of imazing has issues restoring apps/data so i had to downgrade to 2.9.13 - not sure if it's been fixed but it kept on saying i couldnt restore a newer versions of backup onto an old version (it's the same version)

Its archive function of apps also breaks every so often (it thinks the app is no longer tied to my apple id anymore) so i dont rely on that and just use another method to download older IPA files from itunes 12.6.3. I keep the IPAs on my external and when i need to go back, i drag it into imazing's "manage apps" window, right click and then choose "install to device"

Where did you get that IPA? from iTunes 12.6.3? or imazing?

I apparently don’t have the IPA . I assumed that iMazing included application files in it’s backed ups , but it’s starting to look like isn’t the case.

I’ve done a few web searches for the copy pf the ipa file but so far nothing.

I also opened a ticket with the iMazing vendor on the off chance there is a way to recover the ips file.

There are a few places that I haven’t looked, like older backups if of my iTunes directory (from before I upgraded to Catalina) and backblaze backups.

Keep in mind that I’m new to iMazing and still learning how it works and what it’s capable of. Originally I bought it because I heard that it could export SMS messages to different formats, so that is all that I used it for.

I’m interested in it’s other features now :)

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
As a point of reference, do you have Automatic Downloads/Updates for Apps turned ON? I purposely do not, for the exact reason that is bedeviling you. I have found over the years that updated apps very often lose features that I rely upon on a daily basis. Newer does not necessarily mean better!

Reactions: subjonas

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
It's off for the moment, but that doesn't help me get Fantastical 2 back.

I get hundreds of app updates a week, some I want, some I don't. There are just too many for me to manually filter, so I'll probably turn it back in a few days.

What I have changed is that I've downloaded important iOS apps to Mac with iMazing. I'll need to do this periodically for now, but I've asked them to add automation to make it easier to have backup copies of apps.

All it takes is one accidental click on an app in the App Store, and the previous version is lost.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Agreed. I, too, have learned the Buyer's Regret Lesson and been unable to correct the unfortunate results. Now even with Auto-Download OFF, I still read the Details description of app updates and also the Reviews (sorted by Most Recent) in case there are problems with the Update. It's inconvenient and time-consuming but better than being miserable with a horrible result caused by a momentary action.

The last time that I was able to reliably reinstall a previous version of an app was when iTunes still had the Installed Apps section that also allowed for rearranging apps and whole screens using iTunes on a computer. If a device Backup had been run prior to installing an app update, the previous app was still available to reinstall via iTunes if the newer version was removed from the device first. When iTunes was changed a few years ago, the option was removed. (I use a PC and my choices may be more limited.)

Reactions: uehithneu

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If I recall correctly, neither iMazing or iTunes will backup apps, so, not an option there.

I mentioned in the Fantastical news thread that MAYBE can erase the device and restore a backup pre new Fantastical. At that point, can hide the app in App Store and stay at v2. That said, have not tried myself, as it's a pain to get everything back.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I apparently don’t have the IPA . I assumed that iMazing included application files in it’s backed ups , but it’s starting to look like isn’t the case.

I’ve done a few web searches for the copy pf the ipa file but so far nothing.

I also opened a ticket with the iMazing vendor on the off chance there is a way to recover the ips file.

There are a few places that I haven’t looked, like older backups if of my iTunes directory (from before I upgraded to Catalina) and backblaze backups.

Keep in mind that I’m new to iMazing and still learning how it works and what it’s capable of. Originally I bought it because I heard that it could export SMS messages to different formats, so that is all that I used it for.

I’m interested in it’s other features now :)

You can still get the old IPA by following this. Watch the video as it's abit complex. You'll also need itunes 12.6.5 running which is a chore on its own but doable.

iMazing will backup apps but it's not very reliable as it goes MIA sometimes or the IPA is still there but becomes unlinked from your apple iD (Ive used it for a while going back to previous versions and one day it just stopped working) So i used the charles method to get a copy of my IPA and mirrored multiple copies across my backup disks

Spacewiz

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Lake Arrowhead, CA
I got the exact same problem with Fantasticrap...err...Fantistical. And I am pissed at how a dev can just arbitrarily decide to deny your access to an application that was bought and paid for. To me, this is just plain theft. I don't want or care about v3.x features or functionality. I just want to use what I had wo/a subscription.

Shame on you Flexibits!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.