Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
I unticked all the update boxes I was able to find in the App Store and in preferences, but whenever I open the System Preferences I'm greeted with this default screen, "System Preferences" ALWAYS opens like this:

eOciiJn.png

I'm on MacOs Mojave 10.4.2.

I tried to find a way to post this questions on the Apple forums but gave up after 10 minutes of searching.

Last edited:
Reactions: !!!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
To check for updates is the only reason you would go to the Software Update preference pane. So it's doing what it's supposed to do. If you don't want to see that, don't open that pane.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
To check for updates is the only reason you would go to the Software Update preference pane. So it's doing what it's supposed to do. If you don't want to see that, don't open that pane.

Sorry the question might not have been clear: This is the DEFAULT VIEW of the System Preferences.

No matter on what pane I close the System Preferences, it always opens in this pane. It's super annoying. How to stop it?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
That sort of thing would likely indicate that a setting/preference file for the System Preferences app is corrupt.

To determine if it's your particular User Account that is having this issue create a new User Account and see if it does the same thing when logged into the new User Account.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I just now clicked System Preferences and got the normal preference screen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 8.50.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 8.50.53 AM.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 200

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
OP:
I was having the same issue. Every time I opened System Preferences it would open with the Software Update pane already selected and running. But now it is working normally. I THINK what changed is that I let Software Update complete it’s search and verify that I was already running 10.14.2

GetRealBro

Reactions: travelsheep

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I have found it only opens with a search when there is an update available, and it eventually finds it. You can click out of this search by clicking on the icon with 12 dots on it. If there is no update available, my SP opens as it normally should. If its an update you don't want, go to the MAS and hide that update.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
I let it run through and it says: 1 update is available for your Mac "Pro Video Formats 2.0.7" I clicked on "Install Update", which it did, and now System Preferences opens normally. This is true update madness. Crazy.

wlard

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
i just noticed that it only opens on the updater pane from the apple menu item when you got the updates pending bubble next to it, opening from dock or the application icon results in the normal overview page as expected even when updates are available

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.