Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianLy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus (also on AT&T), but kept my old iPhone as a backup. I don't seem to be able to activate it without a SIM from the device or iTunes on my MacBook Pro. I paid full price up front for the device so I own it fully.

Am I always going to need a SIM, or can my local Apple Store help me out? I only need to connect to Wifi for testing right now. Ideally I'd like to ensure it's unlocked so that I can use it with any carrier, if I'm traveling overseas.

TIA.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
You should be able to just pop any GSM sim in to activate and pop it out. It may require a GSM sim, as a CDMA sim from Verizon may not work. You will always get the 'no sim' warning as long as there is not sim in the tray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Once you place the SIM in the phone and connect to iTunes, you may see a message come across the screen saying the phone is unlocked, or something similar. It has been a while since I have personally seen the message.

If you can place another activated carrier's SIM in the phone and make calls etc., it is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.