Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smashashing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Hello,

On my 5,1 Mac pro I have a set of speakers that I use and I wanted to use my headphones as a microphone. I connected it into the port in the front and it wouldn't work and it wouldn't work in the rear ports either. Does anyone know how to get the microphone working on a pair of headphones on the Mac Pro 5,1? I also connected a webcam that had two connections(USB and microphone in) and the webcam works but no audio input so I am very confused as to how to get this working. Please help me

Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The front audio connector is output only, no input/mic on that port.

The audio input on the back panel is for line-level.
You won't get anything audible from a microphone that uses mic-level output.
Make sure your headset microphone uses line level.

Make sure that your System Preferences/Sound pref pane has your input selected in the Input tab. (Your headphone or mic should be plugged in to the input connector before it will show as an input choice.)
Same checks for your webcam in the Sound pref pane. You can also see if the mic is an option in your Audio MIDI Setup (in Applications/Utilities folder.) Again, the input needs a line-level mic.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The front audio connector is output only, no input/mic on that port.

The audio input on the back panel is for line-level.
You won't get anything audible from a microphone that uses mic-level output.
Make sure your headset microphone uses line level.

Make sure that your System Preferences/Sound pref pane has your input selected in the Input tab. (Your headphone or mic should be plugged in to the input connector before it will show as an input choice.)
Same checks for your webcam in the Sound pref pane. You can also see if the mic is an option in your Audio MIDI Setup (in Applications/Utilities folder.) Again, the input needs a line-level mic.
The front port has mic input, I am using that right now. And that’s actually for mic in, not line in.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Front port is TRRS, but does not usually work well if you BootCamp. Some have used a workaround.

Optionally, look for something like this to use with rear ports:

Or use a cheap USB adapter like this is easier for a lot of people:

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
G'day!

Back in March last year when we were sent to work from home due to COVID, I discovered that I could use Zoom, audio-only, on my Mac Pro 5,1.

Thing is - I have no microphone attached in either the front or back "audio in" ports.

I have finally worked out how the computer was picking up audio - a pair of headphones plugged into the front headphone jack.

They are just the standard 3.5mm headphones that used to come with an iPhone.

In the Sound control panel, I confirmed they register as a microphone - even in the headphone socket - NOT the microphone socket.

Try it out?

Cheers

cosmic

Reactions: mattspace

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
G'day!

Back in March last year when we were sent to work from home due to COVID, I discovered that I could use Zoom, audio-only, on my Mac Pro 5,1.

Thing is - I have no microphone attached in either the front or back "audio in" ports.

I have finally worked out how the computer was picking up audio - a pair of headphones plugged into the front headphone jack.

They are just the standard 3.5mm headphones that used to come with an iPhone.

In the Sound control panel, I confirmed they register as a microphone - even in the headphone socket - NOT the microphone socket.

Try it out?

Cheers

cosmic

never occurred to me to try that.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I used to record audio on my Mac LCIII using a pair of headphones - inserted in the Mic port.

But, it hadn't occurred to me either that my MacPro would be "listening" via the headphones - that were inserted in the headphone port! (it's an outtie, not an innie!)

Today I had the Sound control panel open, and picked the headphones up - then saw the reaction on the input level monitor. Realised then how it was working. I had previously thought perhaps it was the mic on my handcam, which is connected via firewire (with analogue to digital passthru enabled).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.