Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple & Mac friends.

On iOS Safari, how do I always make the sites and all their pages including sub-pages be locked at 'Desktop Mode' because it's a bit of a waste of time and cumbersome to always click 'Request Desktop Mode' for every page I go to in a website?

I prefer the websites in their desktop mode because it's easier and faster to navigate through a site, having been used to the desktop mode on macOS and also, at the moment, I don't want to install apps for some websites (eg. Youtube, Twitter, Instagram apps), wanting to keep the apps at a minimum on the iPhone.

Thank you. Have a great and very blessed week.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
There is a toggle in Settings -> Safari -> Request Desktop Website
Hi, thanks, true, I use that all the time but when you click other links within that, say you're shopping online, you'd need to request it again and again. I wish there was a way to lock it for all pages and links within a website (even if it's some kind of terminal command in iOS if that exists or 3rd party app that locks Safari to 'Desktop Mode' in any site and the sub-pages in any site. It's cumbersome to need to click 'Request Desktop Mode' when you're browsing through the search results in an online shopping, the search results could be 100 or more pages (you'd need to always request for Desktop Mode for each).
\

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
when you click other links within that, say you're shopping online, you'd need to request it again and again.
That's not expected behaviour. Maybe try turning the phone off and on, or turning the setting off and on, and see whether that makes it stick.

Reactions: max2

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Hi, thanks, true, I use that all the time but when you click other links within that, say you're shopping online, you'd need to request it again and again. I wish there was a way to lock it for all pages and links within a website (even if it's some kind of terminal command in iOS if that exists or 3rd party app that locks Safari to 'Desktop Mode' in any site and the sub-pages in any site. It's cumbersome to need to click 'Request Desktop Mode' when you're browsing through the search results in an online shopping, the search results could be 100 or more pages (you'd need to always request for Desktop Mode for each).
\
It seems like you're just talking about using the 'Request Desktop Website' in Safari, as opposed to going into the settings as I had mentioned. You need to go into the Settings App, find the section for Safari, scroll down towards the bottom, and enable the toggle for 'All Websites' for the 'Request Desktop Website' option.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I think I misunderstood the ask. I agree with Nermal though, the setting should stick on the website and its subpages. Is there an example of a site where it does not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
It seems like you're just talking about using the 'Request Desktop Website' in Safari, as opposed to going into the settings as I had mentioned. You need to go into the Settings App, find the section for Safari, scroll down towards the bottom, and enable the toggle for 'All Websites' for the 'Request Desktop Website' option.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I think I misunderstood the ask. I agree with Nermal though, the setting should stick on the website and its subpages. Is there an example of a site where it does not?
Hi, thanks, I've permanently set it using Safari's settings to be always on 'Desktop Mode', though is there a way to make it render exactly as like macOS desktop version (even if it scales the letters and images down- I'm ok with zooming in w/ pinch or magnifying glass where I need to, coz' it's faster to navigate through a site like that when it's consistent with the macOS desktop version)?

On Youtube for example, on Desktop Mode, the comments should be side by side with the videos on the left but on iOS Safari it's just the videos, the comments are hidden, it seems.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Hi, thanks, I've permanently set it using Safari's settings to be always on 'Desktop Mode', though is there a way to make it render exactly as like macOS desktop version (even if it scales the letters and images down- I'm ok with zooming in w/ pinch or magnifying glass where I need to, coz' it's faster to navigate through a site like that when it's consistent with the macOS desktop version)?

On Youtube for example, on Desktop Mode, the comments should be side by side with the videos on the left but on iOS Safari it's just the videos, the comments are hidden, it seems.
Many sites (including YouTube) are switching to a 'responsive' design model, where the layout adjusts based on the size of the screen or browser.

In the example of YouTube, if you make your macOS Safari browser tall and skinny, the comments shift to the bottom instead of being on the side. They are also at the bottom when you view YouTube in desktop mode in iOS Safari.

So even though you are using desktop mode in iOS, the site might not look exactly the same as when viewed on a computer due to the difference in display/browser sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alvin777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.