Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hector

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
How come some photos get so many comments on Flickr? Do people just post them to a million groups and hope for the best? Some very very average photos seem to get so much credit...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Some people have many friends and their friends come back once in a while to comment on their photos.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
How come some photos get so many comments on Flickr?

If you invest the time to comment on other people's photos eventually many of them will return the favor. That's really the key. Personally, I don't have that kind of time. Comments are always nice but it can be a lot of work.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I have a friend who doesn't tag her photos yet she gets loads of comments. I tag mine and I hardly get any, that means:
  • Her photos are more interesting than mine
  • She has more friends

Saying that I haven't looked at her friends list

danco

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Also, the attractiveness/singleness of a photographer will affect how many comments he/she gets.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Also, the attractiveness/singleness of a photographer will affect how many comments he/she gets.

Hehehe... unfortunately you're right; I've seen that happen over there.

On a more positive note - if you participate in groups, that will get people to your photos. However you can't be thin-skinned. If you ask for people to critique your photos, you've got to be ready for a mix of comments. Some people give valid criticism (sometimes in a supportive way, sometimes in a harsh way), while others will just be jerks.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
My friends flickr account has views over 1 Million. They do feature his wife in PVC gear though. Though I'm sure many view purely for the artist qualities of the images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.