Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hi,
By mistake I create a custom dictation keyboard shortcut. Now I want to restore the dropdown list of the shortcut option on dictation. In other words I want to restore the shortcut dictation dropdown list removing the custom shortcut. Anyone knows how to do it or where that shortcut is stored?
As example, please see the example from the attached image. I just want to delete "Option+Z" at the end of the dropdown list and appear only "Customize".

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 23.24.20.png

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
It doesn't affect function unless selected, but if you want it removed from the list...

Select one of the preset shortcuts & Quit System Settings.

Open Terminal & paste the following line, followed by Return key.

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs CustomizedDictationHotKey

you should get no response beyond a new command prompt

The custom shortcut should be gone (it works here on Sonoma 14.3.1

Reactions: q3anon

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
It doesn't affect function unless selected, but if you want it removed from the list...

Select one of the preset shortcuts & Quit System Settings.

Open Terminal & paste the following line, followed by Return key.

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs CustomizedDictationHotKey

you should get no response beyond a new command prompt

The custom shortcut should be gone (it works here on Sonoma 14.3.1
I had been looking for a solution for days, but without success. Not even with Apple could I get a simple and effective answer like yours. Thank you very much.

P.S.: I'm using macOS Sonoma 14.4 and it works.

After that I just had an issue. I use only English (US) language, but the keyboard is in another language. After using your command it appears on Dictation Languages two languages and don’t let me change it to use only English (US). To do that I had to remove input source and define it again to allow me change the Dictation Language to use only English (US).

Last edited:

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I can't explain why the command as pasted would affect languages : the only preference key deleted was CustomizedDictationHotKey

Perhaps the entire com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs was deleted instead ?. I don't see language entries in mine, but keyboard & system are both English.

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
I can't explain why the command as pasted would affect languages : the only preference key deleted was CustomizedDictationHotKey

Perhaps the entire com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs was deleted instead ?. I don't see language entries in mine, but keyboard & system are both English.
I don’t know if com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs was deleted because I restarted the Mac after running your command. However, after the restart I could find the file com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs.plist. I don’t know if it was created after the restart.

On Dictation we can Edit and choose the languages for dictation. For me after running your command it appear the system language and the region language (is the same of the keyboard language). I don’t know why I couldn’t change to use only English (US) on dictation language. I know that I solved this issue deleting the input source, select the keyboard language again and after that everything is now OK!

Issues apart, I really appreciate your help and solution. Thank you.

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
If deleted, restarting creates a new, empty plist file that's very small (42 bytes here).

If you care to see what commands actually ran

Code:
history -5

in Terminal will list the last 5

Not important though, since you've clearly fixed it anyway.

q3anon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
If deleted, restarting creates a new, empty plist file that's very small (42 bytes here).

If you care to see what commands actually ran

Code:
history -5

in Terminal will list the last 5

Not important though, since you've clearly fixed it anyway.
Yes, the issue is fixed. Thank you very much for your help.

Reactions: ab22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.