Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Since Monterey for some reason, the "Delete all backups of..." command is no longer available when I select a folder/file after 'entering' Time Machine. Does anyone know how I can now delete all old backups of a particular folder? I have added the folder to the "Exclude these items from backups" list, but this doesn't affect backups that have already been made.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Try navigating further back in the Time Machine timeline to an older backup of the folder in question and the option should show up then when you right-click it. Worked for me (tried just now - macOS 12.3.1).

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
With TM backups to APFS formatted drive, the "Delete all backups of..." is not available. And there is no alternative way, such as using the tmutil command.

This is the only downside to using APFS (rather than HFS) for TM backup disks.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoBoMac

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Trying navigating further back in the Time Machine timeline to an older backup of the folder in question and the option should show up then when you right-click it. Worked for me (tried just now - macOS 12.3.1).
I've done this but still don't see the ability to delete when right-clicking. I read somewhere that it has to do with APFS. Is your TimeMachine disk HFS or APFS? If HFS, that's probably why. Mine is APFS. Hopefully, there is another solution.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
With TM backups to APFS formatted drive, the "Delete all backups of..." is not available. And there is no alternative way, such as using the tmutil command.

This is the only downside to using APFS (rather than HFS) for TM backup disks.
OK, thanks. I hadn't refreshed the page and didn't see your post before I wrote the one above. :)

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I've done this but still don't see the ability to delete when right-clicking. I read somewhere that it has to do with APFS. Is your TimeMachine disk HFS or APFS? If HFS, that's probably why. Mine is APFS. Hopefully, there is another solution.

It's HFS+ / Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted). Never knew that about APFS. Doesn't make any sense to me why a more advanced formatting system would prohibit basic functionality.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Doesn't make any sense to me why a more advanced formatting system would prohibit basic functionality.
It's a compromise - give up one bit of functionality (which most users don't know about) to gain a significant performance improvement and a much more robust file system for Time Machine purposes.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It's a compromise - give up one bit of functionality (which most users don't know about) to gain a significant performance improvement and a much more robust file system for Time Machine purposes.

Not sure why it can't have both performance AND functionality. Why does it have to be a compromise? Why does APFS make it so the Time Machine app can't even locate backup files in order to delete them? Makes no sense to me.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
One reason is that APFS TM is using snapshots while HFS+ was using hard links to cut down on backup sizes. And maintaining those links led to corrupt backups.

With the links, since all the links pointed to one copy of the file, relatively easy to delete the file in all backups. Not sure what goes on in snapshots that makes it impossible to toast all the backups of a file.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Yeah, this really sucks. So I guess the only way to get rid of old backups of sensitive files is to format the TimeMachine drive and start over from scratch?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Maybe.

I've always setup Time Machine backups with a 25 character random generated encryption key, so secure. And once dead and gone, don't care if someone gets into it.

Ability to delete files/folders from backup, for me, was only important to shrink space used on the drive. Eg. file important/in-use for a "narrow" window, we're past it, and if important, archived offline already and can be toasted.

But brings up a question/point: can I achieve single file/folder delete by toasting a snapshot on the TM drive? Guessing not as will take out other collateral files.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
can I achieve single file/folder delete by toasting a snapshot on the TM drive? Guessing not as will take out other collateral files.
You can delete all the snapshots with the offending file. The snapshots before and after will be fine - just like they were with old HFS TM.

Disclosure: My deleting of snapshots has only been to get rid of all snapshots older than about a year.
Yeah, this really sucks. So I guess the only way to get rid of old backups of sensitive files is to format the TimeMachine drive and start over from scratch?
It is not a sign of failure to start again - rather a sign of changing needs. Can be good to start again on a different disk - just to mitigate the risk of disaster whilst new first backup is in process.

When (or if) you do start again you might need to rethink your strategies regarding sensitive files.

Mine is to use Filevault on all disks (system, data, backup) - that mitigates the theft risk but does nothing about a visitor using my unlocked Mac (a risk I accept knowing my likely visitors). I also have an encrypted cloud backup using Arq.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.