Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NCEE2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Hey

So I recently converted a very old vhs tape for a family member to a digital file on my mac was going to burn it to a dvd which I have done before. She asked if I could send it to her in email so she can have it on her windows device. I am at a loss on how to actually convert the file. I have played around on vlc but am not really sure. If you have any suggestions on how to do it, that would be great.

Thanks

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
Best bet would be to convert to .mp4. You can play those pretty much anywhere. Haven’t messed with vlc in awhile but I would look for either export or convert buttons and choose .mp4. If you can’t finding it in vlc, iMovie will definitely do it. Just import the file, edit if needed and then export as file and choose .mp4.

This method should also give you better compression to be able to email the file, though you may still need to use google drive or some other type of file transfer service depending on the size of the video.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If it's not mp4 already, use Handbrake to convert. In all likelihood it will be too large to email (typically 50 MB limit). Use Dropbox and/or Google Drive, and share the file.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
just try renaming it to .mp4. if it's already encoded in h264 then this might work. (.mp4 or .mov are just containers, often it's the file-/codec- type inside the container that counts). can't vlc playback .mov on windows anyway ?

if you have to re-encode, i wouldn't use vlc for that. you have to know what you're doing and the results can be a mixed bag. i'd recommend handbrake.

you don't need google drive or dropbox to share large files - just attach it to your mail in apple's mail program and use the built-in mail drop function. this automatically uploads files up to 5gb and shares a link that's valid for a month.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
just try renaming it to .mp4. if it's already encoded in h264 then this might work.
I wouldn't recommend this; that'll "trick" it into opening with an MP4 player but it'll still be in QuickTime format. If it's in H.264 then try dropping it into Subler; that'll losslessly "repackage" it into a true MP4 file.

Reactions: thizisweird
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.