Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxelre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
Ok so I'm new to photgraphy and I've been wandering around on flickr. I was looking at some pictures and I keep seeing those pictures of people jumping in mid air. So I asked myself how the hell did they do that? Well I thought they were probably two, one taking the pictures and the other one jumping. But then I thought what if he's alone? Ok he's probably using a remote or something...But then again, does the camera really have time to focus and take a picture? Anyways I just wanted to know how they did those!

Thanks!

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
auto focus on the more advanced cameras is really quick and accurate, this with the combination of a self-timer and timing your jump works really well. also, if you have a fast fps, you can set a custom timer with for example 8fps continously and choose the perfect one.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
I only have a D40:rolleyes:....so yeah 2.5 fps MAX and no auto-focus I guess?

oh ok sry i guess you will just have to time your jump perfectly with the shutter continously going off (put something heavy enough onto the shutter so u can do the shot yourself)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
it's much, much (much much) easier to have someone else pull the shutter.

if you're determined to do this solo…

1. set the camera up on a tripod (or table, w/e)
  2. prefocus to where you'll be jumping (focus should be on full manual; perhaps putting an object where you'll be jumping would make this easier)
  3. set the timer for ~10 seconds (or however long it will take you to get to your jump-off spot)
  4. push the shutter and start counting the seconds. jump just before you get to 10

other notes: make sure the speed is fast (min 1/250). The smaller your aperture the greater the DoF, which will make your job of focusing easier.

final note: get someone else to do it, this could take forever without a remote trigger (which I assume you don't have)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.