Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Since updating to sequoia an app called givenergy has stopped working.

In the local network page in settings there's no where to add any app to my local network.

iv tried reinstalling the app but it still doesn't ask for permission to use local network..

In iOS 18 the app still works and you can see the app in there, on the Mac there's nothing .

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 02.30.36.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 02.32.32.png

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The app has to "Ask" for it, you can't proactively provide permission.

If the app isn't asking - work with the app dev on it. They may need an update for Sequoia.

mac_hack_attack

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2021
The app has to "Ask" for it, you can't proactively provide permission.

If the app isn't asking - work with the app dev on it. They may need an update for Sequoia.
This is not correct, at least not as of the last time an Apple dev commented on a public forum(link). According to Apple, the App does not "Ask." Any attempt to send local network traffic by a non-system binary w/o current permissions should trigger this prompt/alert.

Though this is clearly not always the case and I am unsure why. I have some new-ish Apps, that definitely don't ask, but the popup works(iTerm 2). And I have an old python 2 App that definitely does try to send local network traffic(TCP SYN via whatever C binding python uses on MacOS) and it does not trigger the prompt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.