Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Ok, so I've made the leap and have decided to go full out with a color printer (Pro 9000 Mark II) and colorimeter to print out my photos at home from Aperture 3. However, I'm having a mess of a time understanding how it all actually works together.

If anyone know of a WELL-WRITTEN explanation of color spaces, profiles, proofs, and their interactions with each other I would like that because I can't seem to find one.

Specifically, this is my current setup:
1. Import images into Aperture using sRGB profile
2. May do light edits in aperture or heavy edits in CS5 but always retaining sRGB profile on export/import
3. I'm using a software-calibrated monitor (Acer H233H calibrated profile I believe I called it)

Now, how do I calibrate my monitor and then which settings do I use to print to my printer:
1. I want to get an external colorimeter -> does this replace my Acer H233H profile for my monitor?
2. When I print from aperture do I choose the printer profile or my monitor profile?

A somewhat unrelated question is what are people's experiences with the eye-photo display 2 vs. the spyder 3 colorimeters?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
If anyone know of a WELL-WRITTEN explanation of color spaces, profiles, proofs, and their interactions with each other I would like that because I can't seem to find one.

here's a start: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Specifically, this is my current setup:
1. Import images into Aperture using sRGB profile
2. May do light edits in aperture or heavy edits in CS5 but always retaining sRGB profile on export/import
3. I'm using a software-calibrated monitor (Acer H233H calibrated profile I believe I called it)

being so careful with the color space isn't strictly necessary.... you only really need to softproof using the printer profile.

you should look into getting another monitor. the Acer H233H has a TN panel, which have the smallest color space and shift colors easily. the cheapest panel type you want is PVA. IPS is ideal. you can look up monitors at tftcentral.co.uk to see what type of panel it has.

the giveaway for IPS panels is a 178 degree viewing angle, slower response time, and blacks turning purple when viewed at an extreme angle...not to mention no yellow cast or contrast shifts when viewing off-center.

Now, how do I calibrate my monitor and then which settings do I use to print to my printer:
1. I want to get an external colorimeter -> does this replace my Acer H233H profile for my monitor?

it will make a new monitor profile

2. When I print from aperture do I choose the printer profile or my monitor profile?

printer

A somewhat unrelated question is what are people's experiences with the eye-photo display 2 vs. the spyder 3 colorimeters?

either will work. what I've heard is that X-Rite (which makes Eye-One) has more consistent quality control, but Spyder3 is the more advanced puck.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I would recommend (especially if you print) to start using ProPhotoRGB or at least AdobeRGB for future photo work. Your camera and your printer can capture colors beyond the sRGB colorspace, so it would be a benefit to take advantage.

Also don't forget to select the right paper profile when you print. The real "correct" way to do it would be to buy a spectrophotometer based profiling solution, as it will also be able to profile the output of your printer. However, these are expensive and usually you can get away with just using the premade profiles for each paper.

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.