Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Hi all !

Simple question i hope ...

My Hard Drive has 1TB of space. From what i can see, I'm using about 180 GB of this space for system.

My "Info" says 276.69GB is purgeable.

It also shows 458.66GB is used - odd as i should only be using about 180GB.

Something doesn't add up !

How do i free the space on my HD so i can get back the 817.29Gb of free space?

Thanks in advance ... :)

HD.jpg

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
There were several bugs in 10.14 APFS that were addressed/fixed in 10.15 APFS related to snapshots sticking around and eating up storage space. CCC had published documentation at the time, cannot find the link. I believe it was related to (or compounded by) an issue with Time Machine enabled, or when there were issues completing a TM backup. Forcing a TM backup should clear them, or running a CCC clone if setup to purge when complete.

check what is there with this:
tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
There were several bugs in 10.14 APFS that were addressed/fixed in 10.15 APFS related to snapshots sticking around and eating up storage space. CCC had published documentation at the time, cannot find the link. I believe it was related to (or compounded by) an issue with Time Machine enabled, or when there were issues completing a TM backup. Forcing a TM backup should clear them, or running a CCC clone if setup to purge when complete.

check what is there with this:
tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

Ahh ... that's interesting. Thanks for the pointer. I'll have a play with my Time Machine as I'm using 10.14 Mojave.

Appreciate your info. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.