Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
I have 4x6 printing paper. I wanted my picture to be smaller than that. In my print preview I am able to shrink it but it will not stay that way:confused: What do I need to do? I wanted my picture to be 2x3

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In Preview:
Picture 1.jpg

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
Ok so i tried to do that but the printer was still recognizing it as still being a bigger size. So I went to the hp website and updated the version. I'm using the hp photosmart studio. Since I updated i don't see anywhere to change the picture size. Where do i resize it? Under edit there is only "find," "spelling grammar" and "special characteristics."

and there is no tools to choose from.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Open the image in Preview. When you choose "print," you'll have an option to scale the picture by the percentage of your choice. That may be the easiest method for you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As I said, use Preview to resize it and be sure to save it after you resize it.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
this is not working. I opened in preview and went to tools clicked on adjust size, typed in 2x3 clicked ok and saved it. I didn't print it through print preview cause it doesn't let me choose my paper size and what kind of paper so I open it through photosmart studio cause i can choose paper and type. Did that and the picture came out being a 4x6. I'll try again later.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It sounds like you need to check to make sure Photosmart isn't resizing it in your print preferences. If you resize it using Preview and save it, your changes should still be there. You can verify the changes have been saved by locating the file in Finder, right-click on it and "Get Info". Under "More Info" you should see the dimensions. If they are as you want them to be, but the photo prints with a different size in Photosmart, then your print settings in Photosmart are most likely the culprit. Have you tried printing it from Preview, instead of using Photosmart?

Finder > right-click > Get Info:
Picture 1.jpg
Preview > Tools > Adjust Size:
Picture 2.jpg
Preview > Print > Scale 100%
Picture 3.jpg
Preview > Print > Scale To Fit:
Picture 4.jpg

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
I did try but the printer says paper doesn't match. I'll try what you said in your last post.

I tried printing from preview. From print I don't get all the options that you posted above. All I get is printer.... presets... pdf, preview, cancel and print.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried printing from preview. From print I don't get all the options that you posted above. All I get is printer.... presets... pdf, preview, cancel and print.
You keep saying "preview" instead of "Preview", which leads me to believe that you're not following my instructions. I'm referring to "Preview", the application in your Applications folder, not your print preview in any other program. That's why it's capitalized.
Picture 6.jpg
Picture 7.jpg

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
^^^Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I went to that, but when I choose "print" from Preview in the applications I don't have the options like you. The ones you posted for size and everything else. When I open it through photosmart studio and select "print" I have those options. So I don't know what's wrong.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
When your print dialog box comes up, click the little arrow to the right of "Printer" that faces down (outside of the box, NOT the arrows that face up and down:)). Click the down arrow and that will expand your print options

Hope that helps

Jer

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Check out this screenshot and you'll see the little down arrow I'm talking about
Just to the right of Printer top line

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-18 at 10.53.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-18 at 10.53.11 PM.png
    220 KB · Views: 314

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Then, this will happen

You’re in the right place here; however, if you’re trying to print a photo you’re looking at in the wrong place. The settings the earlier poster alluded to with the pictures (about scaling and resizing to fit) are ones that would pop up in Preview when you’re trying to print an image. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, I thought akdj was the thread starter! :eek:

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
Thanks akdj. That did help, but my issue now is the picture comes out being 3x4 and I wanted a 2x3. When I enter the width and height I am able to change the width to 2 and the height automatically changes to 1.41 inches. I am unable to change the height without the width changing. Also on the preview from the "Preview application" the pic looks the same size (3x4) when the picture was saved at as 2x1.41 inches.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Thanks akdj. That did help, but my issue now is the picture comes out being 3x4 and I wanted a 2x3. When I enter the width and height I am able to change the width to 2 and the height automatically changes to 1.41 inches. I am unable to change the height without the width changing. Also on the preview from the "Preview application" the pic looks the same size (3x4) when the picture was saved at as 2x1.41 inches.

It’s going to scale the image proportionally so you might want to check the original image size because it might not be a perfect 4 x 6 when measured. Also, you could drop the photo into a program like Photoshop or gimp to resize and crop exactly to the dimensions you want.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
It is almost 2010 and printing is still far too complex. The Apple software, the various printer software versions and those of other supporting programs like Photoshop, Elements, etc. still do not play well with each other.

It is all too difficult to simply set the size you need (like in this post). Why is that hard? It shouldn't be and shouldn't require all sorts of nerdy work-arounds. Should the average computer user have to know about all that stuff? Ridiculous.

I have gone around in circles many times trying to size the output, get color that approximates the screen, and all that. The only thing that you can depend on is the Out of Ink, Buy More dialogues. I think they spent most of their money on that when they write the software..

Remember WYSIWYG? (buzzer sound). It seems like it takes 29 steps, some redundant, to print a stinking decent photo.

What is needed is a Printing Unification program that gives you one decent control so that you can actually print something nice easily, the first time, not matter what the printer or other programs.

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
GGJ I unchecked the box and it was able to stay at 2x3 inches. When i saved it as that the picture seemed to stretch for some reason. In print preview form "Preview" applications the picture almost took up all the space on the 4x6 paper and it should be this tiny pic:confused: The original picture was 3x5 1/2, which was scanned if that matters.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJ I unchecked the box and it was able to stay at 2x3 inches. When i saved it as that the picture seemed to stretch for some reason. In print preview form "Preview" applications the picture almost took up all the space on the 4x6 paper and it should be this tiny pic:confused: The original picture was 3x5 1/2, which was scanned if that matters.

OK, starting with an original picture, at 600x600:
Picture 1.jpg
If I resize it, scaling proportionately:
Picture 2.jpg
It comes out 300x300:
Serenity Album Art 300x300.jpg
If I resize it, without scaling proportionately:
Picture 3.jpg
It comes out 600x300:
Serenity Album Art 600x300.jpg
It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. You can resize, proportionately or not, crop, and do many other modifications with the Preview app. Either you're not adjusting the size of the picture correctly, or you're not selecting the right options when you print. If you use the software correctly, you can do most basic image modifications with Preview.app.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
You are obviously working on a Mac, right?

You can also do it relatively easily in iPhoto. Whenever you go to print, send, or publish the picture, it will ask you what resolution/size you want....

Another workaround if working inside of Preview is too much a pain in the a**

J

C00KiE

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
California
^^^Awesome. That did it. I never used Iphoto before, first time. More simple than that hp junk. Thanks everyone for your help.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.