Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Hi - this may be a dumb question ... I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but I just can't seem to find the answer in the users guide or anywhere else.

I have a Canon 1000D. So far I have been mostly shooting in JPEG, but would like to start using RAW so as to have more control over the final image. To this end, I have tried shooting a few pictures in RAW format. However, when these files are imported into Aperture, they are there but they just show up as black. What do I need to do in order to be able to see and work with these images?

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
^^^

Run Software Update and see if there are any RAW Compatibility Updates you need to download. That may fix your problem. I had the same problem when I first installed Aperture 3. I had to download the latest RAW Compatibility Update to view RAW images.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Running OS X 10.5.8 with all software updates installed. Apple website says that RAW files from my camera type (Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / Kiss Digital F/1000D) are "Supported by Mac OS X v10.5.5 or later".

Thanks.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
No. I opened iPhoto and selected "Show Aperture Library". Dragged one of the blacked out files into iPhoto but it was still blacked out.

Odd, right?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
try manually downloading the RAW compatability updates? do the RAWs show up in Preview?

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
They do not show up in Preview.

If I download the compatibility updates, which one? The Apple website suggests that my camera type was covered in a particular version of OS X (10.5.5), rather than one of the updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.