Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hc9019

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried switching off 'optimize mac storage', which from what I understood, would mean photos are stored locally and on iCloud - however photos appear to download from iCloud everytime I want to access them, making it really slow.

I like having the automatic syncing/backing up to iCloud, but I still want these to be stored locally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I've tried switching off 'optimize mac storage', which from what I understood, would mean photos are stored locally and on iCloud - however photos appear to download from iCloud everytime I want to access them, making it really slow.

I like having the automatic syncing/backing up to iCloud, but I still want these to be stored locally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
How long has it been since you enabled the Full Version option? How big is your library? It can take a while for either upload or download of full versions.

Hc9019

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I immediately switched off 'optimize mac storage' when I switched on iCloud sync.

If there really is a local copy somewhere, where does it actually get stored, because the original photos folder now only seems to be available with an iCloud file path?

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
The preferences state that your Mac will have full resolution version saved. They are in the user/pictures folder

So if you do not have optimized selected, you should eventually have full resolution version on the Mac, and of course full resolutions uploaded on iCloud

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.