Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I’m trying to organize my large photo library on my iPhone 15 Pro and I know for certain I have duplicates in my photo library. How do I view duplicates in my photos App Library on iOS 18? I don’t see a dedicated “Duplicates” folder or category under utilities

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Folder should show up within a few hours after iOS update; give it some time with the phone CHARGING to let the indexing run.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Folder should show up within a few hours after iOS update; give it some time with the phone CHARGING to let the indexing run.
What folder? Where do I even enable the duplicates folder? I know for certain I have duplicates and I don’t see any duplicates folder in my photos app. I’ve had iOS 18 installs since the day it came out to the public which has been over a week so it has nothing to do with indexing

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
What folder? Where do I even enable the duplicates folder? I know for certain I have duplicates and I don’t see any duplicates folder in my photos app. I’ve had iOS 18 installs since the day it came out to the public which has been over a week so it has nothing to do with indexing
Oh yes, it has! iOS 18 is completely reindexing the whole photos library, for example to create the new „Groups“ in the people album.
Depending on the size, it can take a whiiiiiiiiiiile. I am still getting some duplicates to show up from day to day even after over two weeks with iOS 18 final (installed the RC). My photo library holds 98.000 pictures.

When it is done, and you are definitely having duplicates, a folder called „duplicates“ will appear in the utilities section of the photos app.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Oh yes, it has! iOS 18 is completely reindexing the whole photos library, for example to create the new „Groups“ in the people album.
Depending on the size, it can take a whiiiiiiiiiiile. I am still getting some duplicates to show up from day to day even after over two weeks with iOS 18 final (installed the RC). My photo library holds 98.000 pictures.

When it is done, and you are definitely having duplicates, a folder called „duplicates“ will appear in the utilities section of the photos app.
That can't be the case. iOS 18 came out on the 16th of September and its been 2 weeks since then.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That can't be the case. iOS 18 came out on the 16th of September and its been 2 weeks since then.
2 weeks, connected to Wi-Fi, plugged into a charger?

If no - give it more time, keep it plugged in, keep it on Wi-Fi.

If yes - you have some setting not enabled. iCloud Photos or something.

Reactions: Meuti

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
2 weeks, connected to Wi-Fi, plugged into a charger?

If no - give it more time, keep it plugged in, keep it on Wi-Fi.

If yes - you have some setting not enabled. iCloud Photos or something.
So the duplicates category just showed up this morning under utilities, you were right. It only includes photos though, are duplicate videos supposed to also show under that utilities category?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.