Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minilad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2022
Excuse the apparent fact that I'm not knowledgeable on this topic. I thought it'd be fair to expect the same viewing experience from the two devices, but they appear very different to me regarding how dark black areas get and bloom or reflectivity. Even while both screens are off, you can easily make out the black bezels of the iPad, while on the MacBook, they're difficult to see. Using a black background on the mac practically makes its bezels invisible.

Does this difference have to do with the depth of the iPad's touch screen, or perhaps a different coating that plays differently with light? Also, what are the reasons causing the iPad's screen to show significantly more blooming, despite having a higher LED density? Are thermals a factor here? I'd like to understand how the hardware was seemingly improved on the MacBook and whether those improvements would carry over to next-gen iPads, or is it just an inherent quality of the iPad screen?

Thank you!

Last edited:

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Which M1 iPad Pro? The two models have different screens.

He specifically asked about the Liquid Retina HDR MiniLED screen.

Excuse the apparent fact that I'm not knowledgeable on this topic. I thought it'd be fair to expect the same viewing experience from the two devices, but they appear very different to me regarding how dark black areas get and bloom or reflectivity. Even while both screens are off, you can easily make out the black bezels of the iPad, while on the MacBook, they're difficult to see. Using a black background on the mac practically makes its bezels invisible.

Does this difference have to do with the depth of the iPad's touch screen, or perhaps a different coating that plays differently with light? Also, what are the reasons causing the iPad's screen to show significantly more blooming, despite having a higher LED density? Are thermals a factor here? I'd like to understand how the hardware was seemingly improved on the MacBook and whether those improvements would carry over to next-gen iPads, or is it just an inherent quality of the iPad screen?

Thank you!

There are a lot of factors that can cause the differences you are seeing. Something as simple as a slightly different paint for the borders of the iPad or diffferent antiglare coatings can make them more visible. As far as blooming... it's about more than just how many LEDs are there and how many zones they are grouped into. It's about how the algorithm that controls them is programmed to deal with dark and light. Think of a video of a starfield. Tiny points of light that are much smaller than the dimming zones. If you want to see all the detail you have to turn on the backlight in that zone, leading to blooming. Or they may decide to sacrifice some detail to get better contrast and black levels. There are a million different ways they can do it and all of them lead to the picture differences you see.

• Love
Reactions: minilad and HDFan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.