Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
As I'm thinking most Photographers take a lot of photo's, and after they import them onto their computer, they would either store them on the camera for a little bit or delete them.

When I hook up my Sony Cybershot to my Macbook, it appears as a memory stick on the desktop with different folders containing the photo's. In order to delete I have the option of the "delete imported photo's" in Aperture/iPhoto or dragging to the trash.

But I'm sure there are better/easier ways to delete photo's off a camera as with the large amount of photo's that some people take, dragging to the trash can be an annoyance.

So how do you delete your photo's?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't understand.

After I import my photos to my computer, I use a delete option that says "DELETE ALL" on my Canon camera. It's in one of the menus. Either that, or just ask iPhoto to delete photos after they're imported. That's sliiiiightly more risky, but it should be fine.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The reason I ask this question is that after I deleted photo's both through the camera and on the computer (2 different sets of course) my camera still said it had little free space. I ended up formatting the memory stick to get it back to empty.

juze

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2007
The reason I ask this question is that after I deleted photo's both through the camera and on the computer (2 different sets of course) my camera still said it had little free space. I ended up formatting the memory stick to get it back to empty.

You should always format the memory card in-camera anyway, it reduces the chances of data corruption. Basically, transfer all to the computer, format the card in camera, take new pictures.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yeah, I import then format the card from the camera. By the way, formatting clears up more space than just deleting all.

If you mean editing a shoot, I first delete shots that can't even catch my eye in a few seconds, then flag anything that can appeal and keep my interest for a sustained period of time. I usually keep my 'OK' shots just to study later to figure out what does and what doesn't work in my compositions.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I never delete using iPhoto, just in case something happens upon import (like the battery dying, something doesn't get imported, etc.)

My sony cybershot takes movies, but when they are over 30 seconds they don't always import into iPhoto so I double check to see if everything imported. (ie, iPhoto says 76 items imported and the camera says 76 in folder then I am golden!)

Then I siimply delete using the camera menu...choose select all to delete and click and I am done. Pics safe and sound on my computer.

I have never reformatted a memory stick in the 5 years of using one on multiple cameras and no issues to date. I have taken around 5,000+ photos in those five years at least...many get deleted before importing so it is likely more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.