Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxpx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
so the picture has been captured, and you're quite satisfied with the result! but alas, an annoying bit of glare rightfully distracts the eye! my question for the MR community, is how do you deal with this bit of strife?

i've attached a before/after picture of mine taken with my nikon D60 from an evening out to sail with a few friends. notice the debacle in the first photo off to the right.

sailboat4xk2.jpg

and here's the same shot after a bit of touching. i used the clone and blur tool through photoshop.

sailboat3nr4.jpg

im not entirely pleased with the result - but i did throw it together quite quick.

so! if you like - please share how you would have gone about this same scenario! any efforts are greatly appreciated.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
im not entirely pleased with the result - but i did throw it together quite quick.

Dunno what the pros around here would say, but I have retouched stuff like that out of some of my images. I was pleased with the results. It takes a gentle touch and time.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
Clone tool, fairly low opacity, soft brush, patience and practice. I scanned a lot of film for a long time, and had to clone out dust and such. Plenty o' practice and you'll retouch in your sleep.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
One thing that would help massively would be to get the horizon parallel, it looks tilted, either that or it is my eye sight!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Nice photo - yes I'd normal use clone tool/healing brush in PS but for sometimes iPhoto will do a job just as well. If you like it level for example.

Attachments

• sailboat3nr4.jpg
    sailboat3nr4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 162

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Nice photo - yes I'd normal use clone tool/healing brush in PS but for sometimes iPhoto will do a job just as well. If you like it level for example.

:) How the level horizon changes everything! Beautiful picture. Though it wasn't the subject of the thread.. Haha. Not a huge fan of downhill oceans ;)

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Now the horizon is bisecting the image. That is usually frowned upon in composition.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
"rule of thirds"...

hehe haha

If you like the composition... then it's fine. If everybody followed the "rules", then all of our pictures would come out looking alike.

I have a preference for portraits cut off at the neck at the bottom of the frame with the subject in focus at the very bottom

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Now the horizon is bisecting the image. That is usually frowned upon in composition.

I will happily break the rules to improve things - however that wasn't my point - which was to show - iPhoto has its uses.

So I started with the original (with lens flare) and did this in iPhoto - it is a bit rushed but my son just woke up.

Cybornut

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2004
maybe a filter will help.

I don't think so, a filter may add another dot on the image. This glare is caused by direct lights STRAIGHT into the lens.
The lights is then reflected internally between the lens elements, causing glares/flares.

In another word, more elements, more glares/flares.

In fact, I want to know if you have a UV filter or something on your lens. Taking that out may help.

Of course it would make complete sense to use photoshop to touch it out, and imho your original effort looks pretty decent (the composition can be retouched a bit, but it's been covered by other posters).

As far as "ethics", I would've/could've easily spotted it out in regular non-digital photography anyhow, why is digital any different? It's not as if you are doing photojournalism, where realism is something to be preserved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.