Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I stumbled across this photographer and was amazed by his work. Is this photoshoped or is it just the lighting and settings? If so what kind of settings do you need? Anyone want to shed some light?

http://www.lioneldeluy.com/

Attachments

• ok-017I1188.jpg
    ok-017I1188.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 995.jpg
    995.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 1052.jpg
    1052.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 110

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
It is an amalgamation of things really but primarily this is known as HDR Imaging (High Dynamic Range).

Flickr has some gorgeous HDR sets that are worth checking out, and I'm sure Google will yield great results when searching how-to.

:)

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
How do you go about doing a HDR photo on a person. I know how its done with landscape on a tripod, but with a person its nearly impossible to keep them still for 3 shots, Correct?

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
yea but doesnt it just shoot 3 or how ever many shots at different exposures, is it possible to do a hdr from one raw file

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
yea but doesnt it just shoot 3 or how ever many shots at different exposures, is it possible to do a hdr from one raw file
With a Digital SLR you have a lot of control over shutter speed and exposure time. You could create a faux-hdr image with one shot but that's really not necessary. :)

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
The shots look, to me, more like they were done with very careful (and likely expensive) lighting and then edited in post processing software. The way the light falls on the subject shows a very elaborate studio light setup that is very hard to duplicate with HDR. Although HDR can be used to achieve some of these results, some key lights are still essential to get that "sparkle" in the eyes and the shadows, just look @ the nose shadows (or the lack thereof) shows some general positions of softboxes. The second one looks more proper lighting and metering to achieve the results, and then tweaking in post processing.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
You can tell from the catch lights in the subject's eyes that there were two strobes used. You should be able to figure out where they were placed from their position.

A great depth of field was used, probably at least f/8-f/12 or higher (depends totally on the format - I'm assuming 35mm or 120mm format). Then, it looks to me that other than general contract being notched up, some form of Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop has been used.

While it's a nice technique, I don't think it works on the photos above. It's been perfected by the awesome Jeremy Cowart, but he only uses it when the subject material suits it.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
i would agree that lighting plays a big part, but don't forget multi-pass sharpening! big factor here for this look

jmrnavydoc

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
Virginia
To me, looks more like Draganizer than HDR (Search for a Draganizer plug-in for photoshop on google or even on here MR forums) ... looks very similar in my opinion.

G5trinity

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
A guess

This looks like high shutter speeds with really bright flashes to me, with a prime lens. Too flashes just behind the subject , no rim light, and a combination
overhead light with a warming filter, a front hot light for reflections in the eyes.
Plus some bounce cards and flags. However it is very well done.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
It definitely looks like post processing image effects. I don't know what this editor used, but you could achieve similar results in Photoshop by layering posterize, sharpen, emboss, auto levels, maybe one or 2 blur layers to restore the natural look and a ton of tedious masking.

He definitely tweaked the color levels or did some contrast adjustment on the whites and blacks in some areas of the photos.

threedaysatsea

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
The amount of post-processing he did is minimal at best. He did not posterize, and add blur layers, and mask and do tons of crap that would make your image look terrible. He *did*, however, spend a few thousand dollars on a camera/lens/lighting rigs. Mainly the lighting.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I just noticed this on his site, He is giving a class of everything he knows. So, if you really want to know you can pay $5,000 for the class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.