Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
3873689100_db132ee5a9_b.jpg

That sort of bloom, not-overly-bright light source sort of thing... what sort of light source is being used here? Anyone know?

or am i overthinking it and its just a vignette?

Is there a cheap way of doing this? :p

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
A defuser on a flash and a full frame sensor with a crop sensor lens.

Or you could use a flash and add a vignette in Photoshop, Aperture or LightRoom.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I vote post processed, I have never seen vignetting that bad out of a lens. Check out the yellow line on the rear tire, it almost goes black along the left edge. I am on a terrible monitor, but it looks like the vignette is slightly masked around the wheels (just outside of the tires seems to be a lighter halo).

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
thanks! Best way to tell light source is looking at the shadows, this light is coming from right above the camera and is pretty boring light. i would say they just used a flash on camera

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I'm guessing it's a diffuser on a flash + a vignette in Nik Effects or something.

Thanks guys! :)

Gotta save up for a proper flash and diffuser... I've heard good things about the Gary Fong Lightsphere, but isn't there any easy way to make a diffuser?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Gotta save up for a proper flash and diffuser... I've heard good things about the Gary Fong Lightsphere, but isn't there any easy way to make a diffuser?

Check out "A better bounce card", there are a number of diy solutions and it works quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.