Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I'm a bit of a stickler for how I like my desktop to look as "stock Apple" as possible but being able to support all the 3rd party apps and additional things I need quick access to- so I'm pretty much always shifting around the Dock icons and changing the size trying to find that perfect layout.

Does anyone here have a system they use for organizing it, or do you just toss things in there randomly? :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 5.53.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 5.53.17 AM.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 506

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I put the dock "on the right" so I can use the full height of the display.

Other than that, set it up any way you want.
After all, it's yours!

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Well like I wanna have full sets of apps in the Dock so it looks "Complete" but when it comes to something like the iLife suite I don't know what to do anymore. iPhoto is obsolete, iDVD doesn't work anymore, and I don't even have iWeb (if it still works?) so should I have Photos, iMovies, and Garage Band together?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I put similar apps next to each other, starting with the Apple one, if applicable. Your grouping makes sense, but it's really whatever works for you.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Right side, in the middle. Apps that are always open at the top end. Games at the bottom end. Everything else in the middle, sorta organized into small clusters if they are somehow related or used together.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

There's no use keeping items in the dock that you don't use much.
Remove 'em!

One thing about iPhoto -- it still works, but you need THE FINAL VERSION of iPhoto, which is version 9.6.1. This is THE ONLY VERSION that runs on releases of the Mac OS that contain "Photos".

I know of two ways to get it:
First way:
- first, you have to MOVE or DELETE any version of iPhoto that is "previous to" 9.6.1 from the Applications folder, and then...
- ... go to the App store, go to "purchases", click previously "bought" (you didn't pay for iPhoto, but it may be there anyway), and choose to RE-download iPhoto
- this may give you 9.6.1 (the above is not guaranteed to work)

If the above method for getting iPhoto 9.6.1 doesn't work, then the only way you can get it is to do so from (cough... choke!) "unauthorized" downloading sources. No problems with that here. If Apple won't make it easy for you to get, get it any way that you can!

Reactions: z970

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
I have the Dock on the right (seems daft having it take up horizontal space when the screen is wider than it is tall) and on the second smallest size. Not that it matters too much because then I turn hiding on and forget about it for days at a time.

Cmd-space and the first couple of letters of the application is much easier to use than faffing around with mice/trackpads. The Dock is occasionally useful, but it shouldn't take up any screen space normally. Cmd-opt-d brings it up if I want it.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I have the Dock on the right (seems daft having it take up horizontal space when the screen is wider than it is tall) and on the second smallest size. Not that it matters too much because then I turn hiding on and forget about it for days at a time.
Since, as you say, it doesn't matter too much with hiding turned on, it makes a lot of sense to have it at the bottom to take advantage of the wider screen making the icons larger than they would be if crammed on to the side over a shorter vertical.

Gigster

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
I have it at the bottom and hidden. That way I can have apps take up the entire screen and I can open new apps without needing to minimise the current app.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Interesting. Same developer as for OnyX. Specific version for every major OS, just like OnyX. (If I remember, I might download it when I upgrade to High Sierra.)
That's because it IS Onyx—with everything but the customizing parts stripped out. The guy also makes a third app that is Onyx with the customizing parts stripped out and leaving only the maintenance parts in.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Large icons, magnifying glass and only the essential apps I use everyday.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
OK, I'm probably missing something bloody obvious, but... now I've got OnyX installed, just how the devil do I add spacers to the dock? :confused:

noreply

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
This is mine.

I only put what I use there.
Big icons because I like icons and better readability.
Order comes according to in which space each app is located. So, apps located in the left side of the dock open inside a space located in the left side of the spaces "dock", and so on. And that order is given according to my workflow.
The first stacks are common folders. Then the other two are my downloads folder at the rightmost side, and the folder where my desktop clutter is moved each night automatically (Hazel.app).
[doublepost=1511158611][/doublepost]Also, I use the "bigger text" for my screen resolution. I find it to be a better scale for humans!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2017-11-20 a la(s) 00.51.36.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2017-11-20 a la(s) 00.51.36.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 357

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
OK, I'm probably missing something bloody obvious, but... now I've got OnyX installed, just how the devil do I add spacers to the dock? :confused:

Go to the Parameters area and click the Dock Tab, it's the item at the bottom. Clicking LEFT will add a spacer in the app area of the Dock, RIGHT will add a spacer to the files & folders side of the Dock.

onyx-spacer-icons.png

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Mine's on the left.

Spacers added by a terminal command (can be run multiple times to get more spaces):

> defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

Last edited:
Reactions: SackJabbit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.