Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Spain
Hi guys, I wonder if some of you here might help me solve my dilemma.
I have recently switched to using Aperture (v3) and I'm not entirely sure of the best way to organise my files.
I am fairly happy with my folder structure as it stands (pic attached), but the trouble I am having is when certain files need editing outside of Aperture, i.e photos that need stitching together to make a panoramic, use of Photomatix, or any other editing that Aperture cannot achieve. When I edit outside of Aperture (or via a plugin) the resulting file is a tiff/jpg, and this is where I get confused. I really only want one copy of each pic in Aperture.

I shoot in RAW pretty much all the time, but occasionally I have JPGs from other cameras, such as my iPhone. Those files aren't a problem as I only have one copy anyway. I'm thinking ahead to when it comes to syncing my library over to my iPhone/iPad, I will end up with edited and non edited copies of those photos on the device. For simplicity I want to sync my entire library, or atleast not have to mess around with making extra folders to sync with only the edited versions in.

I guess what I'm really asking is, how do you guys handle multiple formats of a photo in your Aperture library, and how do you go about syncing that library to iPhone/iPad.

Any help with clearing up my confusion would be very much appreciated.
I probably haven't explained myself very well, not sure how to put it into words.

P.S If it matters any, I have only recently put all my pics into Aperture, and all (apart from JPGs) need editing, so I'm not worried about having to start over, as it were.

Neil.

Attachments

• Aperture Screen Grab.jpg
    Aperture Screen Grab.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 144

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
When you choose to edit a photo in another application Aperture makes a second file and stacks it with the original. It's a way to make sure you have a backup copy of the original. You could always delete the originals but personally I just close the stacks so it looks like one image.

As for syncing, I believe it only sync the top photo from each stack, but I haven't really looked carefully to see.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Spain
Really grateful to you emorydunn, for taking the time to reply. Very useful information, thanks, I'll try it all out. Just pleased I can finally get on and (re) edit all my photos. When it's pointed out, it seems pretty obvious, but I just could not get my head around it.
Again thank you.

Neil.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
No problem. Moving from one system to another is always bound to create a few headaches.

Oh, and it looks like iTunes syncs everything in the stack over to the iPhone, so a photo you edit in Photoshop will appear next to its unedited version. There might be a setting hidden deep in some obscure place that will change that though.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Spain
Oh that's a real bummer about iTunes syncing all photos in a stack, I guess I'll have to re-think my strategy.
I wonder if there is anyone else who could possibly chime in with how they handle their photos.

Many thanks,

Neil.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Spain
Well great news for me, I have just done some quick tests using my iPhone, and in fact iTunes will only sync over the topmost photo in a stack, so this is exactly how I was hoping it would be. Maybe this info will be of some use to others around here too.

Neil.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Incidentally, automatically stacking versions is a function that you have to switch on in Preferences. (Not directly relevant to the question, but it was mentioned above.)

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Really? iTunes only sync the topmost photo for you? I wonder why it isn't doing that for me. Oh well, I'll have to try and figure it out.

Never mind, I figured out why. It is stacking just the topmost photo but I have three photos that are all almost identical and I didn't look very carefully.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Fujiko7 said:
Incidentally, automatically stacking versions is a function that you have to switch on in Preferences. (Not directly relevant to the question, but it was mentioned above.)

Hey thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that option before, that will prove quit useful.

Neil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.