Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I'm trying to find a way to stitch my photos together to make a panorama but i can't find one. What apps do you use to do this?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Photoshop has a built in ability to merge photos together but is pretty basic and only works well within ideal conditions, for much better results you need to use something like PTGUI, here is one such example:

Using Photoshop:

Using PTGUI Pro:

If I had have remembered to lock my exposure and not use auto white balance when taking the shots then Photoshop would have done a much better job at it but given my mistakes PTGUI Pro was better at rescuing the image.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Photoshop has a built in ability to merge photos together but is pretty basic and only works well within ideal conditions, for much better results you need to use something like PTGUI

Jason,

What version of Photoshop are you using? I thought CS3 did a really good job and in CS4 it seems like the auto blending has improved even more. I've never had a need to use anything else yet. Just curious.

Regards,

Wayne

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Photoshop has a built in ability to merge photos together but is pretty basic

With respect, I think your usage of Photoshop is pretty basic. Yes it can make that un-blended example you showed but it can also do very good work if you'd let it. Photoshop treats panorammas as a special case of merged images. HDR, Panos and adding a face to a group shop are all really just different applications of "merge". Understanding this is the key to using PS for panos.

If you want something dead easy to use and free. get the software Canon ships with every camera. It makes panos automaticaly and yes. It works with images shot with Nikon or whatever as it works with JPG files. You can download it from canon.com

If you want the best and can put up with a steep learning curve look at "pano tools".
http://panotools.sourceforge.net/
This software is almost literlly the Mother of them all. And really is what stared things rolling. But is written "for PhD. level researchers in Images processing by PhD. level researchers". Not quite "consumer friendly" but it does "everything" and is very well documented. It's free and open source.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
When I do panoramas I shoot manual, and end up with excelent results using CS3.

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I tried the lifehacker tutorial but it didn't work. Where could i download the canon one from?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
With respect, I think your usage of Photoshop is pretty basic. Yes it can make that un-blended example you showed but it can also do very good work if you'd let it. Photoshop treats panorammas as a special case of merged images. HDR, Panos and adding a face to a group shop are all really just different applications of "merge". Understanding this is the key to using PS for panos.

I admit that my use of the merge feature in Photoshop CS4 was pretty basic, I just fed it the 17 images and told it to work it's magic, I know I could have post processed each photo to try to equalize the exposure and white balance but why should I if PTGUI will do that for me?

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
I've had good results with Canon PhotoStitch too. I think it's a free download from the Canon site, but it doesn't need a Canon camera to run.

S

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I admit that my use of the merge feature in Photoshop CS4 was pretty basic, I just fed it the 17 images and told it to work it's magic, I know I could have post processed each photo to try to equalize the exposure and white balance but why should I if PTGUI will do that for me?

And you had "Blend Images Together" ticked?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
And you had "Blend Images Together" ticked?

Of course, it attempted to do that but as I said in my original post it wasn't able to rescue the panorama from my mistakes, if the images didn't differ so much in white balance and exposure I'm sure Photoshop would have handled it just fine, it was just the extremes I had that were an issue.

You can always make a degree marker for your tripod. They are very easy to make and once you know the field of view that your lens has you simply rotate your camera on the tripod using the degree marker as your guide. That way your making the most of each shot and not overlapping excessively. I went to school with a guy who used such a method and his pictures were amazing. He could whip out his marker and whip off a panoramic shots in a matter of seconds. It was really something.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Heres one I did a few weeks ago... just before it all turned to a big ball of snow...
Done in Photoshop CS4 + Canon 1000D

London_Bridge_Panorama_Prev.jpg

Link to high res: http://web.mac.com/jfanthorpe/other/London_Bridge_Panorama.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.