Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McHater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Brand new (very fustrated) mac user.

I've got over 1600 photos I need to rename from the current file name created by the camera (S#####) to a name that actually describes the picture (C-130J_left wing_1). Have not found an answer using the "search forums" feature.

I don't have internet access outside of work, & I can't plug my 'puter into the network (I work for the military), so I can't access any of Apples tutorials.

I'm in a location that takes mail at least 7 days to reach me, so ordering a book , or another photo managing/editing program won't help me right now either. I've got to learn to use what's in front of me with what I've got.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I would use Automator in Leopard to rename the files on bulk... this would probably be the simplest way to do it. To launch automator, open spotlight and search for "automator" and it should be the top hit. It's pretty simple to understand, but if you need help, when you are around an internet connection, check out a plethora of tutorials on YouTube - this one is pretty good.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Brand new (very fustrated) mac user.

I've got over 1600 photos I need to rename from the current file name created by the camera (S#####) to a name that actually describes the picture (C-130J_left wing_1). Have not found an answer using the "search forums" feature.

I don't have internet access outside of work, & I can't plug my 'puter into the network (I work for the military), so I can't access any of Apples tutorials.

I'm in a location that takes mail at least 7 days to reach me, so ordering a book , or another photo managing/editing program won't help me right now either. I've got to learn to use what's in front of me with what I've got.

ARe you letting iPhoto manage your photos?

Anyway, can't you just click on the name of the photo in the info box (little 'i' in the bottom left corner of the window), and just type in the name at the title box? Or add info to the description box.

rrjgxu.png

Note if you are note letting iPhoto manage your photos, this just changes the name in the database, and not actually the file name itself. But is that important? iPhoto was designed to be a manager and database - you're never really supposed to look at your actual files and you interact with them through the iPhoto app. Like iTunes. If you MUST, then perhaps another program will suit you more.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Further to what mrkgoo said, you can select a number of photos in the iPhoto app, and click on "Photos", then "Batch Change" and you can rename a group of them all at once. That may be somewhat of a timesaver for you.

Also, he/she is correct in saying that one must NEVER mess about with the photos in the iPhoto Library in finder. Doing so will cause the app to not function. What is in that library is not important to you, only what is in the iPhoto app itself. (That is assuming you are using iPhoto for your photo organizing/managing -- which is what it was created for)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.