Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterto11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I have a very strange problem with hey siri. I can't complete the setup with my voice. I bought an m1 macbook pro last year and when i try to setup hey siri, it kept saying "i didn't quite catch that please try again". I recently got an iphone 13 pro and i have the same problem. I tried saying "hey siri" in different accents, voice pitch, outdoors, indoors no matter how much i try it does not understand me. I got my parents and 2 friends to try, and they all complete the setup with ease on my devices. Even the voice from google translate has no problems. I have also tried using my voice to setup hey siri on a friends iphone and macbook because i thought my apple id might have problems?.But no. I can't complete the hey siri setup on his devices also. The problem is my voice. But when i manually trigger from the power button siri understands every single word. I can request songs, i ask it to tell jokes, i ask about the weather or to control my homekit devices and it understands me every time. On my iphone and on my mac. I cant figure out what the problem is.

Hey siri setup doesn't understand me on my mac

Hey siri setup doesn't understand me on my iphone

Siri understands me perfectly when triggered manually

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It’s because what you’re saying sounds like “shay Siri” instead of “hay Siri”

The computer is listening for “hay Siri”

Reactions: peterto11

peterto11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020

Hey thanks a lot for the suggestion. I tried again but i still couldn't get it to detect me But when i trigger siri manually from the iphone power button and say hey siri, it understands me correctly and responds "Hello there". When i trigger siri from the touch bar on my mac it understands me and shows on the screen the words it understood. It always understands when i say "hey siri" correctly. But when i try to setup hey siri from the settings. .. it just doesn't understand me.

peterto11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020

Oh my god i just tried saying "hay" siri like you said and it didn't work but then i tried , "Eight siri" AND IT WORKED. Man i have poured about 10 hours asking on forums, reddit, and saying hey siri hundreds of times. I tried "hey sarah" " hi siri " "hi sarah" etc. And your suggestion worked. Its funny because i have to say "eight(8) siri" for it to pick it up but it works oh my god thank you a lot.

Reactions: now i see it
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.