Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I have recently printed one of my latest shots at home, as I was really impressed with how it turned out, and I plan on printing a load more. My question is, how other photographers display their photos i.e. in Photo frames, on a Digital display of some sort. I kinda like the idea of having a steel wire, with brushed steel pegs on a wall to hold the images up (if you can imagine it, I can’t find the photo of it, but it looks really cool and different). I never really get the chance to display my photo's there always stored in a folder and left on the pc!

This won't really help but they will be mainly macro type shots, of mainly sizes 4 x 6 inches, and the odd A4 print.

Thanks for any input

NStocks

Edit : I found a like that looks similar : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/472908/

Note : Sorry if I am not allowed to included link from other parts of this forum.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I think they would look better with larger prints like A3, but with 4x6" and maybe 5x7" i think they will look to chunky :p

But the idea is still there, im trying to think wether or not to get one of those Digital Photo Frames, but they cost more, and can look a bit tacky.

NStocks

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I find the best size for prints is either 18x12inch or 16x12inch depending on how you like to crop your work. They look best on either lustre or glossy (usually glossy) paper.

For mounting I either put them onto black mount board / card with a thin white border or no border and stick them onto white foam core board.

To attach them to my walls I use double sided stick velco which you can buy in your local fabrics shop.

I wouldn't recommend digital picture frames as the technology isn't big enough / high enough quality to really do your photographs justice.

The main way I show off my shots however is daily on my photoblog! lol

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think they would look better with larger prints like A3, but with 4x6" and maybe 5x7" i think they will look to chunky :p

But the idea is still there, im trying to think wether or not to get one of those Digital Photo Frames, but they cost more, and can look a bit tacky.

NStocks

The quality of the LCD pannels varies. In some it is simply low-end and other off-brand units it is quite poor. All of the frames are very low resolution. TV quality or even 1/4 of that) That said the frames can still look OK. Many pictures look good in them they need to have strong graphical composition and not depend on fine details. You may have to experiment with color adjustment. None of the frames are color accurate but if you adjust the images in the oposite way that the LCD distorts it then the end result looks OK. For example a cheap frame I bought adds to much contrst and reders any tone from mid grey or darker as black. So I lighted all the images and reduced their contrast. Now they don't look bad

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
The quality of the LCD pannels varies. In some it is simply low-end and other off-brand units it is quite poor. All of the frames are very low resolution. TV quality or even 1/4 of that) That said the frames can still look OK. Many pictures look good in them they need to have strong graphical composition and not depend on fine details. You may have to experiment with color adjustment. None of the frames are color accurate but if you adjust the images in the oposite way that the LCD distorts it then the end result looks OK. For example a cheap frame I bought adds to much contrst and reders any tone from mid grey or darker as black. So I lighted all the images and reduced their contrast. Now they don't look bad

Yeah, there is a Sony 9" High Definition one around £130.00. I agree, that they probablly wont look as good when there printed on Glossy Photo Paper

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I use a couple of digital photo frames, pbase, printed albums from Kodak, mounted prints from Kodak, regular prints from Kodak, framed prints from Kodak, and Kodak's online storage so interested people that I invite can buy their own prints.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have recently printed one of my latest shots at home, as I was really impressed with how it turned out, and I plan on printing a load more. My question is, how other photographers display their photos i.e. in Photo frames, on a Digital display of some sort.

I had bought an HP photo printer a while back with the intention of printing more photos at home, instead of having a lab print them. I actually regret purchasing the printer since I could get better results going to Target or Walmart (or even mail-order). The issue I'm having is color inconsistency. I'm guessing it's a driver issue or a color space issue.

Anyways, I typically display my photos in frames and hang them on the wall. Personally, I find LCD photo frames to be a good idea with poor implementation for the following reasons:

1. Expensive.

2. Colors look washed out.

3. Typical hanging locations don't have a power outlet.

4. Energy hog - every watt counts.

5. Usually, the frames are kinda ugly.

For these reasons, I'm sticking with printed photos in cheapie frames from Jo-Ann or Michael's.

ft

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
http://gallery.mac.com/srf4real
for starters, but this really doesn't do the HQ originals justice. I also carry around a portfolio of various print sizes from 8x10 to 16x20 so I can give potential customers a realistic idea of what to expect. That $99 for a dot mac account or dot me, whatever you want to call it... is money well spent.;)

My website is also easy to remember, so anyone can get there even if they're soaking wet and can't write it down. Ten bucks a year for the url.mywavepix.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.