Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Gosh, taking some nice pics lately with my dSLR's. How on Earth do you show them?

Who wants to look at them on a tiny iPhone screen? Who wants to lug a laptop or even a NetBook around?

Do you make quick prints (I have a cheap Canon printer for that)? Do you make even cheaper printouts with a color laser (have that too and it can output half-decent pictures).

What on earth do you do that's not excessively costly or wasteful?

Maybe 2 photos per page of the color laser and place in a book?

Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks!

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Just make prints.

Make ordinary prints from a service bureau. Snapfish, Kodak, Mpix, Adoramapix, or even your local pharmacy or supermarket. Those prints are likely to be better and cheaper than home printing, unless you're very careful about color management. In most cases, you can get 4x6 prints for $0.10 each.

Light-sensitive photo paper prints is the way to go. There's no ink-based printing that can match it.

Some of these services will also print small books for less money than iPhoto. But even if you just keep a bunch of prints in an envelope, it's better than home printing or anything viewed on an iPhone or laptop screen.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Make ordinary prints from a service bureau. Snapfish, Kodak, Mpix, Adoramapix, or even your local pharmacy or supermarket. Those prints are likely to be better and cheaper than home printing, unless you're very careful about color management. In most cases, you can get 4x6 prints for $0.10 each.

Light-sensitive photo paper prints is the way to go. There's no ink-based printing that can match it.

Some of these services will also print small books for less money than iPhoto. But even if you just keep a bunch of prints in an envelope, it's better than home printing or anything viewed on an iPhone or laptop screen.

Thanks, for real photos, I go to Kodak. I was wondering the costs though, as Kodak is 15 cents/print plus shipping (if less than $4.99).

Online, Canon ink costs are around 19 cents/4x6 plus the paper. I have a ton of 4x6 paper stock I got on sale, so I guess for now just use that up and get ink for now.

I'm going to try my color laser (Konica-Minolta) and print on cardstock and see how that fares...

I just hate printing all this stuff out to "show" then what do you do with them afterwards? Into the photo box with the old prints? :eek: ;)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
You've got to be kidding. Don't spend your money and time on photography equipment and then print on crappy laser printers.

Pick the best of your work. Print 8x10 or larger. Frame them or better yet print large gallery wraps. Give your work the respect it deserves and if it isn't good enough then practice more.

Photographs are made to be SEEN. So enjoy them.

Heck even printing at walmart will be better than any laser printer you'll use. Not that I am endorsing walmart photo services!

Personally I print almost everything from WHCC - superb.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
You've got to be kidding. Don't spend your money and time on photography equipment and then print on crappy laser printers.

Pick the best of your work. Print 8x10 or larger. Frame them or better yet print large gallery wraps. Give your work the respect it deserves and if it isn't good enough then practice more.

Photographs are made to be SEEN. So enjoy them.

Heck even printing at walmart will be better than any laser printer you'll use. Not that I am endorsing walmart photo services!

Personally I print almost everything from WHCC - superb.

I totally know what you're talking about. But you have to remember sometimes who the audience is.

Creative people - definitely some PP and get it done at Kodak. But my friends/acquaintances? Heck, something done greatly vs. something on an HP Color LaserJet at 600dpi they would say looks the same... :eek:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I share with the masses via my online gallery (see my sig). I also print the best of the best and put those prints in photo albums. The next step will be the installation of a large LCD in the living room, connected to some kind of Linux-based mini-computer. That project is slated for the end of the year. The idea is to be able to have a slide show running on it during parties or to be able to flip through photos more interactively when people are interested in seeing them. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
^^^^ That's cool.

I know a lot of people doing that now, especially if the panel is wall-mounted.

They usually just stick a memory card or usb drive into the panel and show the pics.

I assume you'll be showing yours in high-def and in the pic's RAW format?

What Linux software do you plan on using?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^^^^ That's cool.

I know a lot of people doing that now, especially if the panel is wall-mounted.

They usually just stick a memory card or usb drive into the panel and show the pics.

I assume you'll be showing yours in high-def and in the pic's RAW format?

What Linux software do you plan on using?

No, I wouldn't show anything in raw format. That would be like showing people my dirty laundry. :eek: I'll process the files as best I can and output high-res JPEGs for the big LCD--whatever resolution it needs. As for the Linux software: that's for my husband to work out! He's the Linux Geek in the family (and quite obviously has a secret appreciation for my Unix-based Mac, although he's loathe to admit it ;)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.