Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
London
Wide Angle Lens (10mm is the example given)

Shallow depth of field - i.e. large aperture like f/2.8 (or f/4 - f/5.6 is the example given)

saturation, vibrancy, and contrast increased in photoshop/or any photo editing application.

Some vignette added on some of the photos.

doesn't look like there's any flash used due to the high ISO in the data below the photos.

a lot of them have shallow depth of field because the subject is focused close.

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
What everyone else said.

wide, wide lens, big aperture...
And I think some holga-type PP- adding contrast, saturation, little vignette...

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
London
Not exactly. While you may be able to get some of the effects, using an SLR (with the proper lens) is what will give you the wide angle.

Good point! Also the depth of field will be much deeper with a compact. The sensor size affects the depth of field greatly too (i.e the larger the sensor, the shallower the depth of field). DSLRs have larger sensors.

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
London
or; a lot of cameras will give that kind of color just by selecting a setting on their set-up menus

yes i suppose but I would rather my mac did it than the tiny little processor in the camera. Plus I don't think the in-camera settings will apply that much saturation as seen in the examples.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
it looks like 10mm on a 1.6 cropped sensor. my full frame at 16mm gets a similar field of view.

If you want super wide you can always go for the 8mm that I think sigma makes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.