Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penlocky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
- Where do you sell it and get the most bucks? (Selling on selling service means you'll lost 50 to 60% of the device value compared to ebay)
- What are the precautions to do when selling?
- How long does it usually take to sell one?
- What are the tips, strategies and tactics?
- Anything I need to know?

Is it okay to ask about how to sell here?

Thank you very much fellow Mac owners =). Just testing out the waters to see if its worth to sell or bare with the buyers remorse of the 2016 15" maxed out MBP with no 4K 10 bit capability on CPU (I know GPU has it but software support seems unlikely on the Mac OS front).

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
- Where do you sell it and get the most bucks? (Selling on selling service means you'll lost 50 to 60% of the device value compared to ebay)

Thank you very much fellow Mac owners =). Just testing out the waters to see if its worth to sell or bare with the buyers remorse of the 2016 15" maxed out MBP with no 4K 10 bit capability on CPU (I know GPU has it but software support seems unlikely on the Mac OS front).

Since you mention eBay, look at the completed sales for similar systems and you can get the information you requested.

Hopefully you have a decent seller reputation.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
You could certainly try Swappa.com or at least use it in addition to others. I've used them countless times with iOS and Android devices and wearables. Great site. They have grown immensely in the last few years. Not really a bad thing but there's a whole lot more competition out there than there used to be when it was Android only. They expanded to MacBooks a while back.

Typically sales are quick for me, but I price my used phones on lower/mid side and always have boxes and good pictures (DSLR) and such. They have a buyers fee (used to be $10 flat rate, but I think it's tiered now) that the buyer pays and they do use PayPal so some % will go to them after the transaction. Plus there's shipping. Not great for a $30 iPhone 3GS, but on a $,$$$ MacBook I wouldn't think it would be as bad?

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Used the Dutch equivalent of eBay (Marktplaats). I posted an advert of my 2016 model and it took me 3 days to sell it. I dropped prices quite quickly, as I saw other webshops were selling the same MacBook for much less. So I ended up taking a 380 EUR loss.

I stay away from persons who are member of the site for 1 day. I do not sell to any English speaking members. I always require bank payment first. I prefer people who come pick up the item and sell cash. My strategy is coming up with 'one day discounts'. I just give a limited offer (e.g: pay 50 EUR less if you will come get it today). It makes people doubt and it always works. :)

Penlocky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Thank you very much for the responses guys! I learn from you all!
[doublepost=1498850721][/doublepost]
Used the Dutch equivalent of eBay (Marktplaats). I posted an advert of my 2016 model and it took me 3 days to sell it. I dropped prices quite quickly, as I saw other webshops were selling the same MacBook for much less. So I ended up taking a 380 EUR loss.

I stay away from persons who are member of the site for 1 day. I do not sell to any English speaking members. I always require bank payment first. I prefer people who come pick up the item and sell cash. My strategy is coming up with 'one day discounts'. I just give a limited offer (e.g: pay 50 EUR less if you will come get it today). It makes people doubt and it always works. :)
What is your model? 13 or 15 inch? What spec?

windows4ever

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
IMHO ebay is where you'll get the best price, even after fees. Crisp clear pictures and screenshots verifying all hardware specs like battery cycles, ssd & ram size, etc. Selling it with the original box and accessories always helps resale value. Always save your Apple boxes!

If selling on ebay, I would put a condition that buyers with low feedback (under 10) must contact you before bidding or their bid will be void. That's against ebay policy, but you should still do it.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
If you sell on eBay, don't do it as a new seller. Even reputable buyers want a free MacBook Pro if they can get it. You will have no defense as a new seller.

Garrett998

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011

I wouldn't count out services necessarily. I just got a $935 offer for my late 2013 15" MacBook Pro from Mac Me an Offer which is fairly competitive with selling to individuals. And with a reputable company, you have less of a chance of getting screwed.

Make sure to turn off Find My Mac and log out of iCloud and other accounts. Deauthorize any licensed software and your iTunes account. Then wipe the HD and reinstall macOS but don't complete setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.