Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Sorry for the bad title, I couldn't word it too well without making it longer. My question is for the people who bring their iPad to work and don't work in creative fields (so more 9-5 finance jobs and not artists), how do you utilize it at work or in your field? Apps, workflow, accessories, ways you set it up at your desk, etc.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Sorry for the bad title, I couldn't word it too well without making it longer. My question is for the people who bring their iPad to work and don't work in creative fields (so more 9-5 finance jobs and not artists), how do you utilize it at work or in your field? Apps, workflow, accessories, ways you set it up at your desk, etc.

I take my iPad mini 4 to the office every morning just to catch up on the news. I took my new 10.5 Pro toady but didn't end up using it...

kissfan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2011
Florida
I'm a PS consultant. I keep a full set of documentation in iBooks, as well as tons of notes and papers. This way when I'm at a customer that won't allow wifi access, and no cell signal, I have full documentation at my fingertips.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm a PS consultant. I keep a full set of documentation in iBooks, as well as tons of notes and papers. This way when I'm at a customer that won't allow wifi access, and no cell signal, I have full documentation at my fingertips.

Which iPad are you using?

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

So really then, it's just a satellite for the Mac that you currently have!?

kissfan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2011
Florida
So really then, it's just a satellite for the Mac that you currently have!?

Yes and No. It's a pain to keep flipping screens and trying to stay on track. I lose my place when bouncing around. With the iPad I can have them side-by-side.

Also, I can use the pencil and add notes to my documents as things need addendum.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
Most of my work consists of emails and web-apps:
  • Constant email communication - mainly through the mail app or the outlook app (MS Exchange).
  • Sales force to monitor customer care communication with my clients.
    • This one has been very challenging - some feature of site do not work with touch, like clicking on a menu for a drop down list.. etc
  • Chat through Hangouts - sucks! No split screen.
  • Teams calls through Webex - works well.
  • Dropbox to access presentations or documents from my desk PC (laptop).
  • Home developed web tool - has issues with scrolling, sometimes i am unable to see the bottom of the screen..
Most of my issues have come from downloading reports and accessing web tools such as DOMO or convey.

I have a business trip coming up in July - I think I will VPN and use the citrix mouse for Salesforce and our home web tool.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Primarily through E-mails, documents and note taking. I leave my laptop stationary and the iPad I tote around with me for other meetings, etc.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
GoodNotes has been the killer app for me on my Pro. Completely eliminated paper and losing notes, and syncs to my MacBook and iPhone for full access anytime I need it.

After finally getting OneDrive to work, I am now utilizing Microsoft Office apps to update my spreadsheets and documents and sync across all of my devices.

Emailing, document signing and editing, texting....

The Apple Pencil and Keyboard tie it all together nicely making this the mobile device perfect for the road.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I switched to an iPad Air 2 for everything at work about 8 months ago, and I've added an Asus Chromebit for a few "desktop browser" or second-screen kinds of tasks, but the iPad is still my primary computer at work. I'm a network admin, so having a small, portable device is great and when Apple added proper Ethernet support with iOS 10.2, it's been able to tackle even some of the weirdest tasks.

I mostly live in Safari, Mail, Prompt, Transmit, Microsoft Remote Desktop, Screens, Textastic, and Documents 5. OneDrive and Excel sometimes come into play, as does Notes. I often use it in an Elago stand and an Apple Wireless Keyboard or Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard.

I've also replicated some functions for my personal iPad Pro so I can work from home or on the road.

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I ditched my MacBook a year ago and use only iPad Pro 12.9 and my Mac mini.

ASK makes it easy to type emails and documents. If I need to use a traditional computer I remote into my Mac mini using jump desktop and a swift point GT mouse (yes can use mouse to control my remote Mac mini machine). My work also provides a VMware horizon virtual desktop (windows) that you can also use with iPad, apple Smart Keyboard and the swiftpoint gt mouse.

Reactions: sracer

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
I use my iPad to store technical documents, create/sync notes on OneNote, access cloud files, scan documents, access our company's files across 50 offices, edit Office docs, view Autocad files, give presentations, teach classes, and remotely access my work desktop while travelling. That's on top of personal stuff like watching Xfinity channels, reading kindle books, taking courses on Great Courses Plus, viewing recipes, controlling home security, etc etc. It is very nearly a laptop replacement for me and is a constant companion. I never travel with a work laptop anymore.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I use my iPad to store technical documents, create/sync notes on OneNote, access cloud files, scan documents, access our company's files across 50 offices, edit Office docs, view Autocad files, give presentations, teach classes, and remotely access my work desktop while travelling. That's on top of personal stuff like watching Xfinity channels, reading kindle books, taking courses on Great Courses Plus, viewing recipes, controlling home security, etc etc. It is very nearly a laptop replacement for me and is a constant companion. I never travel with a work laptop anymore.

Are you using a Pro?, if so which one?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I manage a team of about 25 people for a logistics company. I use my iPad for email, messaging, browsing, collaborating, word, excel, etc. It works really well.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Petroleum Engineer here. I use my iPP every day to take notes during meetings, also use conversion tables, excel, PDF documents, sign on PDF documents etc. Mails obviously.

I use GoodNotes for note taking. Having ability to create multiple notebooks for different tasks/subjects makes my life much much easier, and I never lose my notes like I used to when I used actual pen & paper.

rwp

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2015
LA, CA, US
I manage a team of 25 software engineers, and am 98% on my 12.9” IPP (there is online corporate training that requires flash – I use a common computer for those tasks). Primary use includes email, Safari, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, calendar, reminders, notes, Printer Pro, and Skype for Business. On the occasions when I do code reviews or otherwise get techy, I use a combination of Reflection, Transmit, and Textastic. I use iCloud Drive for main document storage.

The fantastic screen, battery life, and portability, coupled with the Pencil for note-taking during meetings has improved my daily workflow.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I’m in the field of leadership and organisational development, and I use my iPad Pro constantly for note-taking; brainstorming and sketching out ideas for projects and workshops; presenting (marking up ppt using the pencil on screen while presenting is a crowd-pleaser); simple document work; email on the train (using the LTE); video conferences using every software package going; sharing documents; collaborative sketching and explaining complex concepts; reading news and twitter in between meetings; capturing tasks using Things; pulling up previous notes in Evernote etc; slack/sms etc (wish there were an official WhatsApp for iPad - I hate it but it’s a non-negotiable). It does 90% of what my MBP does - just not heavy document creation.

I’ve just moved from the 12.9 to the 10.5 and the smaller size is much less intrusive - it means I now have one iPad conversation (‘wow, that’s cool’) and not two (‘Wow, that’s a huge iPad’, ‘wow, that’s cool’).

Reactions: AVBeatMan

DavidC2005

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2017
I always use mine in business meetings, either as a handout to show charts close-up or as an auto-cue note taking tool. It's much easier and more impressive than taking pieces of paper all over the world with you. In fact now that I've got a Truphone Apple SIM plan I can log on to the internet anywhere and retreive important files while I'm away on business. It's just handier and easier to carry than a laptop in my opinion, especially with Apple SIM enabled.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I’m in the field of leadership and organisational development, and I use my iPad Pro constantly for note-taking; brainstorming and sketching out ideas for projects and workshops; presenting (marking up ppt using the pencil on screen while presenting is a crowd-pleaser); simple document work; email on the train (using the LTE); video conferences using every software package going; sharing documents; collaborative sketching and explaining complex concepts; reading news and twitter in between meetings; capturing tasks using Things; pulling up previous notes in Evernote etc; slack/sms etc (wish there were an official WhatsApp for iPad - I hate it but it’s a non-negotiable). It does 90% of what my MBP does - just not heavy document creation.

I’ve just moved from the 12.9 to the 10.5 and the smaller size is much less intrusive - it means I now have one iPad conversation (‘wow, that’s cool’) and not two (‘Wow, that’s a huge iPad’, ‘wow, that’s cool’).

I think this is the only post I've read where someone has gone from the 12.9 to the 10.5. I think the 10.5 is a lot more mobile. Just out of interest, which case are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.