Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanMacm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I am thinking of purchasing airport express, how does it work? I don't understand it.

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
My question mainly is: Can i setup my wireless network on it, lets say i visit my parents place. can i bring this airport express to my parents place using my own wireless network instead of theirs? is this what this means? or am i wrong? lol.

Depending on their router you could participate in WDS, effectively extending your parents network.

You could also attach the express to the back of your parents router with a crossover cable and then create your own network.

RyanMacm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Depending on their router you could participate in WDS, effectively extending your parents network.

You could also attach the express to the back of your parents router with a crossover cable and then create your own network.

okay i see. glad i asked before i made the purchase.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My question mainly is: Can i setup my wireless network on it, lets say i visit my parents place. can i bring this airport express to my parents place using my own wireless network instead of theirs? is this what this means? or am i wrong? lol.
Yes. For example, I take one with me when I travel, so I can wirelessly connect to the internet in hotel rooms that have only an ethernet cable. I can also use it to play iTunes on any stereo speakers I plug into it. Once you set up your network, that network is usable wherever you plug it in, whether connected to the internet or not.

RyanMacm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Yes. For example, I take one with me when I travel, so I can wirelessly connect to the internet in hotel rooms that have only an ethernet cable. I can also use it to play iTunes on any stereo speakers I plug into it. Once you set up your network, that network is usable wherever you plug it in, whether connected to the internet or not.

ohh, i see. okay. do you think its worth it for someone who doesn't travel but might end up going to live in a dorm/apt with a school internet? I am thinking about the airport express cos i was wondering if I can create my own network even if I'm using the school network..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ohh, i see. okay. do you think its worth it for someone who doesn't travel but might end up going to live in a dorm/apt with a school internet? I am thinking about the airport express cos i was wondering if I can create my own network even if I'm using the school network..
Check with your school, as some forbid wireless networks to be set up.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I have a friend who is wondering if an Airport Express would be a cheaper alternative instead of an Extreme to replace her POS Linksys router in her home. Any thoughts/advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.