Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Hello, everyone!

As we know, today is the release day of the new macOS Sonoma. But I don’t quite understand, how does macOS "update system" work (I’m new to Mac).
I’m currently on macOS Monterey 12.5 (Macbook Pro 16 2021), and there are two update options for me - macOS Ventura 13.6 and macOS Monterey 12.7 (under a sign “Other updates are available”). So then, what options there will be for me after the new macOS Sonoma release? Will there be 3 options - Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma? Or I won’t be able to update to the newest version of macOS Monterey anymore? When will Apple stop signing macOS Monterey?
Also, do you think there will be macOS Monterey 12.7.1? Should I wait for it? Thank you!

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
In the past, when I've skipped a version, only the currently installed and latest release are made available in the Software Update dialogue: so Monterey and Sonoma, in your case – and mine.

Length of support for each macOS has varied. There won't be any major changes to Monterey now, obviously, but Apple have in the past continued to provide security updates for a few years. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS#Timeline_of_releases

Reactions: LetteIT

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
In the past, when I've skipped a version, only the currently installed and latest release are made available in the Software Update dialogue: so Monterey and Sonoma, in your case – and mine.

Length of support for each macOS has varied. There won't be any major changes to Monterey now, obviously, but Apple have in the past continued to provide security updates for a few years. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS#Timeline_of_releases
Thank you for your reply! The currently installed and latest release then. Thank you for clearing things out for me! Are you going to update to macOS Sonoma soon?

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I'll probably wait for 14.1 – though I have two machines, so I might give it a go on my secondary machine.

I'm actually happy with Monterey, but some of the software I use is becoming dependent on Ventura or later, so I'll have to update sooner or later.

Reactions: LetteIT

LetteIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
I'll probably wait for 14.1 – though I have two machines, so I might give it a go on my secondary machine.

I'm actually happy with Monterey, but some of the software I use is becoming dependent on Ventura or later, so I'll have to update sooner or later.
Oh, good for you then, that you have an opportunity to compare two systems side by side! 👍 What version of Monterey do you have right now, by the way? How stable it is? Do you always update or do you wait for three-number update?

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I'm on latest Monterey. I've never experienced any stability issues with Monterey. I got bitten by a .0 release way back, so usually wait for .1 or .2 now. Sonoma looks solid, though.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Hello, everyone!

As we know, today is the release day of the new macOS Sonoma. But I don’t quite understand, how does macOS "update system" work (I’m new to Mac).
I’m currently on macOS Monterey 12.5 (Macbook Pro 16 2021), and there are two update options for me - macOS Ventura 13.6 and macOS Monterey 12.7 (under a sign “Other updates are available”). So then, what options there will be for me after the new macOS Sonoma release? Will there be 3 options - Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma? Or I won’t be able to update to the newest version of macOS Monterey anymore? When will Apple stop signing macOS Monterey?
Also, do you think there will be macOS Monterey 12.7.1? Should I wait for it? Thank you!
if you go to sonoma all those other updates will be null and void. For now you should just update monterey and safari. i say stay there for a few months then go to sonoma, i say skip ventura all together, nothing great about it if you ask me, its been out a full year and they are still fixing bugs..lol

BotchQue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2019
A somewhat related question: I have my desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone all set to "Automatic Updates", but nothing ever "automatically updates"; I sometimes (not always) get a Notification that there's a new OS to update to, but I have to initiate it, every time. Not a big issue.
When the newest iOS came out a couple weeks ago, my iPhone didn't get an option to update to it; I had to update to the last iOS 16.whatever first, before the option for 17 showed itself. This doesn't happen on my laptop. Odd.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
A somewhat related question: I have my desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone all set to "Automatic Updates", but nothing ever "automatically updates"; I sometimes (not always) get a Notification that there's a new OS to update to, but I have to initiate it, every time. Not a big issue.
When the newest iOS came out a couple weeks ago, my iPhone didn't get an option to update to it; I had to update to the last iOS 16.whatever first, before the option for 17 showed itself. This doesn't happen on my laptop. Odd.
setting automatic updates is never a good idea. apps break, things become incompatible, bugs arrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.