Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Is it just me, or is Siri truly getting worse with regards to understanding simple commands? I am not referring to Siri understanding my words, because that is not an issue. I'm talking about her loss of ability to do things she could before, or even forgetting what she was talking about.

I have an iPhone 7 with iOS10 and all the latest updates. Since I have started using iOS10, I've noticed several weird things. For instance, many times I will ask her to find a number of a local business. She talks back and says she found it and the phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. She then says "would you like me to call it." So I respond "Yes" and then she says "I'm not sure what you mean." She actually forget the history of our conversation and the question she just asked me. It's not a matter of her understanding me saying "yes" because sometimes she will respond "I'm not sure what you mean, yes".

Another example which I have had others duplicate with this exact scenario, and I can't make any sense of it. I say "Text John (with a very slight pause) Did she get all her packing done?" Siri then shows me exactly what I said, so obviously she understood every word, but then prepares the text to send as "packing done" or sometimes even just "done". Try it yourself? I know she has key words she ignores or that do certain things, but I can't figure out how this set of words gets completely ignored. And no, the amount of pause I do after "Text xxx" doesn't make a difference.

Does this make sense to anyone??

Last edited:

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Another example which I have had others duplicate with this exact scenario, and I can't make any sense of it. I say "Text John (with a very slight pause) Did she get all her packing done?" Siri then shows me exactly what I said, so obviously she understood every word, but then prepares the text to send as "packing done" or sometimes even just "done". Try it yourself? I know she has key words she ignores or that do certain things, but I can't figure out how this set of words gets completely ignored. And no, the amount of pause I do after "Text xxx" doesn't make a difference.

Tried this 3 times, worked every time. Siri was going to send "Did she get all her packing done?"

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
Thank goodness for "hey Siri"... I just don't understand when to talk anymore if I hold down the button!?! There used to be an audible sound when to state your command... but now I fumble with it every time I use Siri that way. Is it just me?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank goodness for "hey Siri"... I just don't understand when to talk anymore if I hold down the button!?! There used to be an audible sound when to state your command... but now I fumble with it every time I use Siri that way. Is it just me?
Sound when using the home button has been removed back in iOS 9.

Reactions: Thor_1

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Had no issues using Siri and the only time i use it really is in the car to do things when Siri understands me to pick up the Hey Siri command over road noise and the radio and once running and the radio has cut out it picks up my commands fine. Driving home the other day on the motorway at about 75mph it was easily coping with me asking it to read messages and take my replies and send them.

Anthjo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Siri has become almost unusable imo. I'm sure it's probably me... perhaps it's massive headway that's been made by Alexa, Cortana and Google Now in this regard?

Reactions: Uncivil11

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Siri has become almost unusable imo. I'm sure it's probably me... perhaps it's massive headway that's been made by Alexa, Cortana and Google Now in this regard?

Siri to me, has fallen behind with dictation and deciphering. Google Voice is more accurate and faster compared to Siri. Siri needs a serious revamp.

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Try this
Send text john
I'm going to my sixth period class because I'm in high school

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I’ve noticed severe quality drops as well. Commands that used to work, just don’t anymore. It won’t accept a particular pronunciation of my name anymore, whereas it used to correctly since iOS 8. I cannot do anything about it. Then there is also this:

FullSizeRender-4.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender-5.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg
IMG_2819.jpg IMG_2820.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg

I think I won’t bother saying anything else than ‘notifications’ now. This is voice-control level ‘intelligence’.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I've stopped using it to read/reply to messages in the car because half the time Siri misses what I'm saying. The other half of the time it just doesn't work. Last night after reading a message Siri asked the usual "would you like to reply?" I said "yes" which it picked up because it displayed "yes" on screen, but in response she said "that's what I thought" and did absolutely nothing. Happened several times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.