Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Has your 2020 27" iMac worked well for you or has it given you trouble?

Usually I'm pretty confident with apple hardware but I've had pretty bad graphics issues right out of the gate, since day one, (and before any 3rd party software or RAM was installed.) This has been the opposite experience of the super stable and minimally buggy Macs that I've had in the past. I'm ok with minor glitching and bugs but certainly nothing severe

This Mac is heading back to apple, but before I order a replacement, what has your experience been like with these machines?

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Has your 2020 27" iMac worked well for you or has it given you trouble?

Usually I'm pretty confident with apple hardware but I've had pretty bad graphics issues right out of the gate, since day one, (and before any 3rd party software or RAM was installed.) This has been the opposite experience of the super stable and minimally buggy Macs that I've had in the past. I'm ok with minor glitching and bugs but certainly nothing severe

This Mac is heading back to apple, but before I order a replacement, what has your experience been like with these machines?
No problems here. I got the 3.6ghz 10-core i9 w 2TB SSD from the refurb store, and it's been a dream to use. I replaced the memory with 32GB RAM from OWC...

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
No problems here. I got the 3.6ghz 10-core i9 w 2TB SSD from the refurb store, and it's been a dream to use. I replaced the memory with 32GB RAM from OWC...
Thanks for your response. That is really good to hear!

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
The only issue I've experienced is the True Tone bug during shut down.

Edit: Fan noise at idle is also a bit annoying, especially in the quiet of the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: uller6

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
The only issue I've experienced is the True Tone bug during shut down.

Edit: Fan noise at idle is also a bit annoying, especially in the quiet of the night.
What do you think is causing that issue with the fan noise at idle? Fault Temperature sensor?

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
What do you think is causing that issue with the fan noise at idle? Fault Temperature sensor?
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the temperature sensor. It’s likely due to Apple’s chosen high default RPM at idle (1200rpm) and how the fan noise escapes the rear ported vent and hits the metal stand. Again, it’s only an issue when it’s dead quiet at night. During the day, I have to really focus to be able to hear it. Only feels annoying when I push the machine really hard and it spins up to around 1600-1700rpm.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
The 2020 iMac 27" so far is perfect for my needs, no problems whatsoever! I was lucky enough to snap up the 3,3GHz 512Gb version 'as-new' for a superb low price as the owner was moving overseas. It really is a joy to use.
When I purchased it the 24" M1 was already in stores, in fact I auditioned the new 24" against the 2020 5k Intel 27" side by side in store and my scribbled notes read:
M1 very rapid to boot, 27" not exactly slow but perfectly adequate. M1 very fresh looking especially in blue, very poor extension ports on rear (it was the basic 8/7 CPU/GPU core version). No noticeable difference in screen definition. Good sound from the M1 speakers, even better from the 27".
Even if an M1 27" had been released at the same time I would not have been an early user/developer, especially as these iMacs are generally now recognised as Apple repair only with the associated repair costs if & when problems develop after expired warranty. This is not the case with the Intel Macs, as user upgradability is relatively easy as I've proved a number of times.
My plan is to retain and use the 5K 27" latest Intel Mac until at least a year after an M1X 27" has been in the market place, and then make a decision to purchase new together with extended AppleCare. At that time (late 2023?) I'm certain I'll still be able to get a good price for my 2020 27" with maxed-out Ram etc. ;)

Last edited:

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the temperature sensor. It’s likely due to Apple’s chosen high default RPM at idle (1200rpm) and how the fan noise escapes the rear ported vent and hits the metal stand. Again, it’s only an issue when it’s dead quiet at night. During the day, I have to really focus to be able to hear it. Only feels annoying when I push the machine really hard and it spins up to around 1600-1700rpm.
That is interesting! I've never been able to hear the fans at idle, but then again I do have a considerable amount of white noise at my current residence.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
The 2020 iMac 27" so far is perfect for my needs, no problems whatsoever! I was lucky enough to snap up the 3,3GHz 512Gb version 'as-new' for a superb low price as the owner was moving overseas. It really is a joy to use.
When I purchased it the 24" M1 was already in stores, in fact I auditioned the new 24" against the 2020 5k Intel 27" side by side in store and my scribbled notes read:
M1 very rapid to boot, 27" not exactly slow but perfectly adequate. M1 very fresh looking especially in blue, very poor extension ports on rear (it was the basic 8/7 CPU/GPU core version). No noticeable difference in screen definition. Good sound from the M1 speakers, even better from the 27".
Even if an M1 27" had been released at the same time I would not have been an early user/developer, especially as these iMacs are generally now recognised as Apple repair only with the associated repair costs if & when problems develop after expired warranty. This is not the case with the Intel Macs, as user upgradability is relatively easy as I've proved a number of times.
My plan is to retain and use the 5K 27" latest Intel Mac until at least a year after an M1X 27" has been in the market place, and then make a decision to purchase new together with extended AppleCare. At that time (late 2023) I'm certain I'll still be able to get a good price for my 2020 27" with maxed-out Ram etc. ;)
Thanks for the share. I would have been instantly sold on one of those 24inch iMacs if they offered a version with 64gb of ram. I think they look great, (especially the blue,) and they have just enough cpu performance for me as well, but the 16gb ram limit is what steered me over to the 27" Intel Mac. 24" is just the perfect size for my needs. This 27" is amazing, really feels so well rounded, and just feels like it has it all. This next round of pro iMacs that will likely have bigger screens will be intriguing, but I'm really starting to wonder if the 30" or 32" might just be too dang big, in which case ill head over to a Mac mini. I guess using an apple desktop machine with a 24 or 27 monitor as well as 64GB of ram might be exclusively provided by the Mac mini or Mac Pro in the future.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Fan noise at idle is also a bit annoying, especially in the quiet of the night.
I honestly don't think I've ever heard any fan noise "at idle". I've had Photoshop and FCP running at times and heard the fans in that situation... and they are a bit loud... but never at idle.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I honestly don't think I've ever heard any fan noise "at idle". I've had Photoshop and FCP running at times and heard the fans in that situation... and they are a bit loud... but never at idle.
The only ways I’ve heard the fans at idle is to put my ear next to the iMac stand, or record it with a microphone and listen to the recording.

As far as issues go, only the true-tone on shutdown glitch is the only one that remains. It isn’t every time, but it is often enough to remind you it’s still there. Also have zero issues in Windows 10. AMD finally released updated boot camp drivers a month or two ago as well. The previous drivers were from 09/2020.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009

The fan noise at idle is definitely audible depending on your hearing and ambient noise levels. There's a bunch of threads here with several hundred posts discussing the idle fan noise/quietness of the newer iMacs.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I just ordered the $2299 IMAC for the wife for Christmas (Been looking to price match a military exchange purchase since Black Friday, but no luck). I tried to talk her into the new 24, but she insisted on the large screen. The more research I do, I think it was the wiser decision. I have already ordered 32G Ram from OWC. Being the last upgradable Mac seems to be what I always lean to. I am sure the 24 is a good machine, but Ill wait for the M1x 27 or 30 a few years from now. I saw a few deals on the i5, but wanted the i7 with at least a 512G SSD.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I just ordered the $2299 IMAC for the wife for Christmas (Been looking to price match a military exchange purchase since Black Friday, but no luck). I tried to talk her into the new 24, but she insisted on the large screen. The more research I do, I think it was the wiser decision. I have already ordered 32G Ram from OWC. Being the last upgradable Mac seems to be what I always lean to. I am sure the 24 is a good machine, but Ill wait for the M1x 27 or 30 a few years from now. I saw a few deals on the i5, but wanted the i7 with at least a 512G SSD.
Congratulations on your new machine! I think you guys are going to love it. It seems to be a really solid and refined piece of kit.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I have had my 2020 iMac since August of 2020. It has worked great for me. I have the 10 core i9 version with the 5700XT GPU. The GPU has 16GB of RAM and I swapped out the original 8GB of system RAM for 64GB.

One issue with the new Apple Silicon iMacs is this will no longer be possible.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The fan noise at idle is definitely audible depending on your hearing and ambient noise levels. There's a bunch of threads here with several hundred posts discussing the idle fan noise/quietness of the newer iMacs.

It is definitely NOT audible in my office. My hearing is fine, and even in a quiet office with. NO ambient noise, I do not hear the fan at idle. Period.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I purchased 128 GB of OWC memory and had frequent reboots. Took 2 out and it has been perfect. Next year, I'll get RAM from Crucial. I use my iMac in IT and I test out virtual machine configurations and also Docker containers. Using it for work and is my personal machine and Zoom calls the video quality is higher than everyone else on the call. After work, I use Bootcamp and play lots of Windows games and I am blown away by the power of the GPU. I could not build a gaming PC with today's GPUs for less money.

I also have a maxed-out M1 iMac for personal use. It is great for Mac-only stuff but I get so much more value and compatibility out of my iMac 27.

Reactions: davedirect

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Picked up a refurb 1TB with the Intel i7 and AMD 5700 back in September and swapped out the stock 2x4GB Apple RAM for 2x16GB Adamanta. Been running flawless every day in macOS and Windows 10 (VM and BootCamp).

Reactions: davedirect

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I have had my 2020 iMac since August of 2020. It has worked great for me. I have the 10 core i9 version with the 5700XT GPU. The GPU has 16GB of RAM and I swapped out the original 8GB of system RAM for 64GB.

One issue with the new Apple Silicon iMacs is this will no longer be possible.
This is why I was so drawn to it. I could get a system with 64GB of RAM for $800 cheaper than the new large screens iMacs will be. Not overpaying for ram is a really sweet feature :)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Further to my above post #7 I've just upgraded the memory on my 2020 27" iMac to 64Gb. And what a wonderful performing 'Intel' iMac this is too!

iMac 27_64Go.jpg

iMac 27_64G.jpg

As a comparison, my wife uses an M2 Mac Mini Pro with 16Gb memory. I use both for photo editing and especially with iMovie. Due to the 5K screen and boosted memory the 2020 27" iMac is truly remarkable, and imho performance-wise has nothing to be ashamed of compared to that latest Mac Mini.
Currently in July 2023, the 27" iMac is still very underestimated and a wonderful bargain, especially as an i5 with 32GB can be found for less than $1000.
For info, between mid 2020 and early 2022 when the 27" iMac was still available new, 64Gb upgraded RAM from Apple cost an additional $1000. :eek:
And the price I paid for 64Gb of Crucial RAM last week? Just 60euros ($67). $1000 v $60!! I'm aware that Robin Hood was a legendary character, but isn't that just the sort of person required today to stop taking advantage from the 'rich' and giving back a little more to the 'poor'?

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPLGeek

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
In 2020, my 64GB upgrade cost $309. Still cheaper than Apple’s prices but it seems the cost has cratered since then if you bought RAM for basically $1/GB.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
In 2020, my 64GB upgrade cost $309. Still cheaper than Apple’s prices but it seems the cost has cratered since then if you bought RAM for basically $1/GB.
Yes, that 60euros ($67) I quoted for 64Gb Crucial RAM was during an Amazon special-deal day, with no additional taxes on indicated price (unlike the U.S/Canada), or additional delivery charge. An amazing deal! And my 2020 Intel 27" iMac has never been happier. :)
I've had it for over a year now and no way would I change it for the latest 24" M1 iMac - the top model of which I recently noted here was priced at 2240 euros (US$ 2480) with maxed out 16Gb RAM........!
If anyone reading this is tempted to buy the 24" iMac - that's ok, but I'll simply say before doing so, check out used prices of the 2020 27". They will be NOT be redundant when later Apple OS's are no longer officially supported, as you can be sure there will still be patches available to keep them functioning perfectly. After all I'm still using a 2012 MacBookPro with a later OS than officially supported and it's still a wonderful machine for everyday use.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobcomer

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
Best decision I ever made. Great machine for work. And great gaming machine with bootcamp. To this day there is no better iMac you can buy.
Are you running Win10 or 11 on your bootcamp? Also, are you using the standard video drivers or the blue edition bootcamp drivers? TIA

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Are you running Win10 or 11 on your bootcamp? Also, are you using the standard video drivers or the blue edition bootcamp drivers? TIA
I’m somebody else, but I’m running Win10 bootcamp with the blue edition bootcamp drivers because Marvel’s Midnight Suns wouldn’t launch without them. Haven’t updated the drivers since then, but will the next time a game gives me a “driver out of date” error.

Reactions: Schnauzer World
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.