Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
United Kingdom
What steps are involved in order to import RAW images from a digital camera such as a Canon EOS 5D in OSX?

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Both Aperture and iPhoto will do it natively like any other camera - plug in and let them import.
If you're talking about how to import them into a folder of your choice, not using either of the above, then I'm not entirely sure... Automater to set up a workflow everytime you plug in the 5D?

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
The Cameras usually come with some sort of software which will let you specify where the files go. Or you can use image capture in Aps :) does the same thing. Lets you down load the lot or select the images you want from thumb nails!

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Never done it on a windows machine... but it is wonderfully simple. It depends on what level of control you want... Also if you use a card reader or printer with a card reader the card reader will appear on the desktop and you can drag the images.

If you plug in your camera or card, iPhoto will open automatically, read the card and ask if you want to download all the photos. If you have aperture installed you can set it to do the same... You don't even need to install the driver or photo software that comes with the Camera... Can it be more simple?

Spies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
United Kingdom
What part of "plug in and import in iPhoto/Aperture" didn't you get? :rolleyes:
That was a bit, unecessary.

Windows will import images (jpeg's admittadly) with the scanner and camera wizard, no 3rd party software required.

Is iPhoto bundled or is it extra?

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
That seemed entirely unnecessary.

Some cameras show up as a device in finder and you can just drag files to any folder you'd like. Canons, unfortunately, don't seem to work this way, so something like iPhoto or Aperture or the software provided with the camera is the way to go.

iPhoto is included with any Mac.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
What I do, for quickest performance, is configure my Macintosh to launch Image Capture when it sees a memory card. Image Capture is a tiny utility that comes with every Mac and with Mac OS X. I configured it to automatically download everything, and after it's done, it launches an AppleScript that umounts the card automatically. So just put the card in, wait for the download, and pull the card out.

Later on, I use Aperture to move the files from that directory into its own library.

So, no third-party software is necessary, and if you chose to use iPhoto to download the card directly, that's not third-party software; included with every Macintosh as mentioned above.

One feature that I believe doesn't exist with Windows in any version is Finder previews with RAW files. Since RAW decoding is handled within OSX (Aperture and iPhoto use this capability), Finder previews work even for RAW files. My understanding is that you do need a third-party application to do this (correct me if I'm wrong) in Windows.

OSX RAW decoding handles the Canon 5D.

EDIT: Since you used the word "intuitive," and I didn't remember how my computer was configured when I got it, I just plugged my 350D's memory card with some photos on it into my daughter's MacBook which has never seen a camera's memory card before, to see what happens by default. What happened was that the memory card showed up on the desktop, and then iPhoto launched automatically. It brought up its Import screen which has an Import button clearly shown. I would judge this to be about as intuitive as it can get with today's technology.

May I ask why you have this question? Might be helpful to focus our answers better.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
That was a bit, unecessary.

Windows will import images (jpeg's admittadly) with the scanner and camera wizard, no 3rd party software required.

Is iPhoto bundled or is it extra?

Hi!

iPhoto is bundled. Aperture is not. Both will import AUTOMATICALLY.

good luck sport!

so you have a 5D, shoot RAW, yet dont know how to import photos? LOL

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ Mmmm....

iPhoto is pre-installed on every new Mac and has been since about 2002 or 2003. So assuming one does not buy a Mac that is more than four years old, yes, it's as simple as plugging it in. You plug it in, iPhoto launches, the pictures import. No setup of any kind. If you don't want iPhoto to handle your pictures, you can use Image Capture, which is included in the Utilities folder, and set it to act on your photos instead of iPhoto. It's really astonishingly simple.

But if you're looking for a fight, you can always manage to find one.

P.S. Does XP have software to open RAW images out of the box? I didn't think it did. Which program within XP itself is able to actually view RAW images once you get them off the camera?

Spies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
United Kingdom
The wizards in XP don't recognise raw files as images, you have to drag them across then convert then in Photoshop. As raw files, you dont even get a thumbnail in the shell.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The wizards in XP don't recognise raw files as images, you have to drag them across then convert then in Photoshop. As raw files, you dont even get a thumbnail in the shell.

Depending on your volume of pictures, what a lot of people like to do in OS X is to use iPhoto to import. If you set PS as your editor in iPhoto (this is a preference you must set, but it takes literally 15 seconds), then you can double click images in iPhoto to launch them in PS. This way iPhoto will always save unmodified copies of your photos for you to which you can revert should you need to do so.

But if you want your photos dumped into a folder, you can just open Image Capture and set it to be the thing that gets triggered when you plug in a camera instead of iPhoto, and it will very easily do this. If you used the Wizards in Windows, Image Capture's behavior is more or less analogous to them.

PS also comes with yet another RAW camera importer, if I remember correctly. So you have a plurality of options if the default (iPhoto) doesn't work for you. But probably the best bet is to just give iPhoto the first shot.

The not mounting as a disk is a minor nuisance... but not too bad for most people. Some pros decide to go for card readers so they don't need to have their camera plugged into the Mac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
calling iPhoto unintuitive

99% of switcher complaints about iPhoto highlight *THE* issue that every switcher should understand about Apple before they switch. OS X, iLife, and Apple in general offer you a very easy, straightforward, and no hassle way of doing the things you want to. BUT, it tends to all be designed around using the products in the way they were conceived to work. Apple products tend to suck at being heavily customized. They are not really designed for you to get involved in how the innards work.

iPhoto is a classic example of this... most of the switcher complaints have to do with the way iPhoto organizes its library on the hard drive. They're usually not about the way it organizes it *in* iPhoto. And its really designed for you to not go poking around in its library, just like iTunes is. If you can get over this, you tend to be very happy on OS X and with Apple. If you can't, then, honestly, I think you're better off on Windows or Linux, because you'll just be constantly pulling and tugging at OS X to do things it doesn't want to do.

I don't mean that as fanboyism. That's just my take. If you're someone who wants to do everything for yourself, customize everything to appear exactly the way you think it should, and manage individual media files on the hard drive, you're just not going to be happy on OS X.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I only recently began shooting in RAW (Canon 30D). I didn't even consider the the intuitiveness of using RAW - using Mac OS X and iPhoto (and more recently Aperture) there is no substantive difference in "intuitiveness" between jpegs & RAW.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
So it's not really as friendly as just plugging in a camera to a windows machine?

so, is it as intuitive on a mac as it is on the PC that doesnt even recognise RAW files? is it me, or did this thread just get a little more retarded?

Spies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
United Kingdom
so, is it as intuitive on a mac as it is on the PC that doesnt even recognise RAW files? is it me, or did this thread just get a little more retarded?
You'd do well to learn to read my friend.

Now bog off, your input isnt welcome.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
You'd do well to learn to read my friend.

Now bog off, your input isnt welcome.

wait... i'm confused..

your thread title is "how intuitive is importing RAW Files"

and this is what you had to do in windows

and this is what you do in OS X
connect memory card, iphoto pops up, click import

which one is more intuitive?

and your

doesn't really mean anything because that has nothing to do with RAW, jpeg can be imported the same way as windows (drag and drop) or like RAW in OS X, connect memory card, and click import

i'm not sure where your bitterness is coming from

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
To be honest, I was equally confused about these very two statements Lebowski quoted.

So I rebooted my daughter's MacBook into XP and stuck my card reader with my 350D's CF card in it. For about a minute, nothing happened. Then it mounted the card as a drive as you'd expect. Then nothing happened.

I opened a window for the card and could see the CR2 files there.

So I went to the Control Panels and saw no Scanner and Camera Wizard at all. I clicked the "Classic View" and then it showed up. I opened it. Nothing but the iSight showed up.

So I went back to the camera and switched to RAW+JPEG and took a few shots. Now it works pretty much as well as Mac OS, though it completely ignored my RAW files.

Now, of course, you said that. But this thread was not about JPEG files, it was about RAW files.

So what are you asking? I outlined the steps I use to download RAW files, and I outlined what happened in OSX by default, and I compared what happens in Windows XP by default. I'm not sure what's left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.